Why would my blood pressure only spike in the evening from 7 to 12 pm.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I Discovered I had a BP of 206/110 on Nov 27/2017. I have had borderline hypertension for the last 15 years which didn't require any medication and my doctor couldn't advise any lifestyle changes that I wasn't already doing.

I'm 63, healthy, 6.1" and 184lbs, at the gym 4 times a week, low sodium ovo/lacto vegetarian & daily Zen meditation practitioner for the last 44 years, drink plenty of water, non smoker, non drinker, good sleep regiment, now retired with a low stress lifestyle. My mom did had BP problems with many mini strokes so they think this is an inherited condition. Numerous blood and urine tests for me come back as all good.

My Doctor has now proscribed 4mg daily Coversyl (perindopril) since my high BP reading.. I have been measuring my own BP about 5 times a day since then. This medicine lowers my BP through most of my day to a good range but the systolic still rises by 30mg back to the hyper tension range from 7 - 12 pm every evening. Taking my medication at different times doesn't change this. Taking a nap  during the day makes no difference to it.

Does anyone have evening BP spikes or any possible explanations for why it consistently rises in the evening?

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Dear Howard.

?I saw where you said you had been diagnosed with Sleep Apnea but couldn't tolerate the Mask.  Although you're not overweight, You may wish to try one small thing before delving too deeply into additional BP Meds.  I too couldn't tolerate a Mask and would throw it off in my sleep according to my wife.  I decided to lose weight - which you don't seem to need to do.  But 10 pounds can oftentimes eliminate Sleep Apnea.  In the meantime, my Wife bought some Nose Strips for me similar to what NFL Players wear.  Between my losing weight and the Nose Strips, My snoring is gone and I have cut my BP requirement in half.  Another 15 Pounds and my Dr. thinks I can eliminate the BP Med.  Give the Nose Strips a chance.  They're inexpensive.  If they help. maybe 10 pounds off may fix you up even though your weight is OK.  Just a couple thoughts.  Good Luck!   Ernie

• Posted

Thanks Ernie

but you probably meant to address your post to Bigmarlon34 who was the one who said he had sleep apnea.  Interesting tip about the nose strips.

• Posted

Apologize Howard,

?Received e/m about your conversation with Marlon and guess I didn't pay enough attention as to who was speaking to whom!  Regrets.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.