Widespread muscle pain and fatigue

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a single dad of three so my limited resources have prevented me from spending the money to pursue a formal diagnosis. My doctor has been telling me that he believes that I have a mitochondrial disorder and I have been dealing with neurological, and muscle problems problems for 3-4 years now. For the last year, I have been on the "mito cocktail" which seems to help with the neurological issues and that, combined with clean living ( I've  been vegan for three years) I have been managing very well with relatively minor disruptions in my life. Here is where the Autoimmune theory enters the picture. Last week I decided to concede to a craving and have a steak dinner. I was overwhelmed the next day by muscle pain and fatigue and I literally spent the whole next day in bed sleeping. I am an always moving type of person so this was highly unusual for me. I know that this sounds crazy so I haven't mentioned it to anyone but my fatigue and aches have been ongoing for over a week now.  I feel that my decision may have wiped out years of progress and that I have suffered a huge set back. Does this mak any kind of sense to anyone?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It makes sense in terms of the illness maybe deteriorating and the steak being a coincidence. I am sorry to be blunt about it for anyone who believes food has that kind of impact on illness but I really doubt that your downturn was related to one steak dinner. I believe that, in general, eating healthily is a great idea for anyone with or without auto immune disorders. I think it's especially important if you have an auto immune disorder. I just don't believe it can impact to that extent on your physical condition. 

If I was you I would ask for a referral to someone who can work out exactly what is going on for you. I think the vagueness of a mitochondrial would not sit well with me as a diagnosis. I would be looking for something more concrete than that as it wouldn't lead to any kind of reasonable treatment plan. Your GP sounds like they are open to the idea that you have auto immune related issues which is an amazing help given most GPs are so dismissive of the whole category and often badly informed. 

• Posted

Hello John,

Yes it sounds familiar to me and unless you confide with those that have personal experience, to most people it would seem far fetched to make a connection between food and your symptoms.

I congratulate you on having the discipline to follow such an extreme diet.

It surprises me that your doctor uses the term mitochondrial disorder as its not as readily accepted, not at least here in the UK unless there are tests to prove otherwise - I assume your diagnosis is based on symptoms?

I experience similar sypmtoms - particularly fatigue and joint pain when I eat certain foods. I think for me it's anything that needs more energy to digest...its a very extensive list for me.

However I think generally if there's an element of stress involved in digestion it can trigger a whole cascade of reactions, which for me has lead to autoimmune disease.

I was given the unfortunate diagnosis of fibromyalgia- I say this because in the UK it's deemed as incurable and of unknown causes.

Have you tried any detox regiemes?

I reccomend at least drink plenty of water, get back to the diet that worked - but ease into it to give your gut chance to recover.

Try to keep active to stimulate lymphatic/ circulatory system.

Keep to a routine with sleep.

All the best.

• Posted

i appreciate your advice. I hope that you find some resolution. John
  • Posted

Hi John,

Sorry to hear about what you are going through. I don't know much about mitochondrial disorders, but I can't see where one steak meal could destroy all the good progress you made.  Don't let this get you down. I have an Autoimmune disease and end up eating something I should not have eaten. I often end up sick and depress. I guess we all have set backs from time to time. So, I hope you will feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.