Wierd Constipation Situation.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am an 18 year old male, 6'4 and 195 pounds with no problems with constipation prior. I was recently prescribed tramadol for severe back pain from scoliosis and a pinched nerve. Normally, since it's an opioid I go get some stool softeners and it works well. This time, it became a problem. About two inches up from my belly button I started having a lot of pressure. Stool softeners didn't help so I got some magnesium citrate and drank the entire bottle, went a lot and the pressure got better but the next morning having not ate anything the pressure is back. No pain whatsoever but the pressure just makes me feel like not moving.

I ate probably 65 grams of nonsoluable fiber and drank about ten bottles of water on an off day and it took probably 15 hours to go to the bathroom from the time I ate. With a softener. The pressure continues in the same place. Occasionally pressure spreads to my upper left side. I also feel sick if I eat a normal meal but no pain, just extreme bloating.

When I do go, it isn't normal and it's very much a 2 on the fecal chart.

I move around a lot, I'm an employee for my dad's drywall business and I eat a fiber rich diet with plenty of water (10-12 bottles of water a day on a busy day). I also normally went 2 times a day everyday. It worries me when I can't go everyday. I am currently not taking Tramadol while this is going on.

No history of cancer in either side of my family. I have had an ulcer in the past from NSAIDS for my back but this was 6 months ago and I cleared it up pretty fast.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hey, I'm 18 also. Have you been diagnosed with colitis or are you thinking you have it? Colitis affects people differently, personally I'm the other way, lucky don't suffer from diarrhoea but are the other way. It's just dependant, it could be your medication but it's hard to tell if you're not having other symptoms such as blood. Suggest it to your doctor.
    • Posted

I'm not having any blood or the like, I am however passing more gas than usual. Just a ton of pressure that doesn't seem to subside unless I'm laying down. Eating makes me feel sick. It's to the point of driving me insane, haha.
    • Posted

Have you been to the doctor? Or had any tests? Just to be on the safe side. I started having syptoms last September and didn't get diagnosed fully till the February, so it's a long process so you'll want to get it kicked off ASAP to get diagnosed quicker.
    • Posted

No laxative has worked for the pressure so I'll probably end up going tomorrow. I'm only worried because I don't want them going up 'in there' unless it's a last option kind of thing. What do they do?
    • Posted

First they will most likely do a flexible sigmoidoscopy (examine the bowel). This is where a flexible camera, about the width of a finger is used. They examine half of your bowel. As I was inflamed at the time, it was very painful as I was fully awake. It lasted around 20 minutes. I was really nervous.

Then there's a colonoscopy, this is a full examination. I had concious sedation with this and I could hardly feel a thing. It felt like I didn't care about anything, and that everything was fuzzy.

If you are really nervous I presume they will let you have concious sedation. Honestly don't worry about it, I'm due for another one soon and it's just something that'a got to be done. I know exactly how you feel, but for the sake of 20 mins its worth it. Don't worry, feel free to ask me any questions at all and I will tell you the truth as I wanted to know exactly what it was like but people lied to make me less nervous when I just got a shock haha.

Keep me updated with what's going on, don't worry x

• Posted

Also, you're a tall guy so you most likely have more bowel, meaning the bends in your bowel won't be as close together. Where as I am only a 5"2 female and I'm a healthy weight, so they said it's likely to hurt more on someone smaller.
    • Posted

Well, I'll go to the doctor and get some tests done. I'm not so much worried of the doctor as I am them using the cameras and all that, it just kinda wierds me out. This is the first time I've had a problem since I went on a diet. I lost 65 pounds.

Since I've ate today the pressure has seemed to move a little but nothing outstanding.

I appreciate your help, I really do.

• Posted

That's the best thing to do, and just seen what's going on. Try to relax! You thinking about it might make it worse, or you think it's worse.

And congratulations!

And no problem, sometimes you just need someone to talk it over with, just a message away if you need any advice. Let me know how you get on.

Good lucksmile

• Posted

Will do and thank you! I'll try to stop worrying so much.

Kinda sucked not being able to eat without feeling sick on Thanksgiving. Alas, it'll get better. :D

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.