Wife getting a hip replacement; I am torn btwn staying to support her OR leaving 4 a vacation.

Posted , 21 users are following.

I feel I should stay with her to be an advocate support or anything else she might need. However, she wants me to go on have a great time and not worry about her.

I will be there during surgery and for the next four days. It's clear that a full recovery could take up 6 weeks or so.

In turn, I am asking for your advice as to whether I should be around - just in case she does indeed need help - or I should just relax and go on a trip.

Thanks kindly in advance for your valuable inputs! 😊

Steven

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would strongly advise you to stay.  She will need help for the first few weeks.  Your wife will thank you for it later. 
  • Posted

This is a major invasive operation. Your wife will not be able to leap out of bed afterwards and carry on as normal, there is a great deal of healing required. The more help she can get and support the better, also psychologically she may feel down and frustrated and will want someone to lean on. Full healing can take up to a year. She may be reasonably mobile after six weeks, but will initially need crutches or similar to get around. She will not be able to drive. Most insurance companies ask for six to eight weeks before using the car, although some people are able to drive a little sooner. 

Of course she could go to a convalescant facility to look after her for a week or so, while you take a holiday. 

• Posted

I say you should stay. My first hip surgery my husband was here with me for about 2 weeks before he had to go back to work. 3 weeks later I'm having a hip revision because it became dislocated. I went to rehab for 2 weeks prior to coming home. Once home I had to fend for myself during the day as my husband was not able to stay home. He did help me get dress in the morning, make breakfast and prepare lunch for me for later. I had to get up early tho as he had to leave by 630. I was an emotional wreak. I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks. In a wheelchair or hopping on one leg using the walker. Took me awhile to get comfortable using crutches as I was so scared I would fall!! I was very depressed. This has been the toughest times I've ever had to endure. I'm 6 months out now and can get around ok now. Walking with cane as I still have a limp. Combating muscle weakness and nerve pain now. So yea, stay with your wife and help her, support her be there for her. Wishing y'all the best and God bless y'all. Hugs 🤗, LD

• Posted

I know you must be kidding. I would have been lost without my wife the first 1-2 weeks Good luck to her (and you)
  • Posted

I suggest that either you stay with her, or find someone else to stay with her while you are gone! This is major surgery. I needed help getting in and out of bed for the first week or two. I couldn't get to the door to answer it for a week. I needed someone to bring me food to eat for two weeks. I certainly couldn't have shopped for myself or taken out garbage, or done laundry or anything like that. I needed someone to pick up prescriptions for me at the pharmacy, and to buy devices that I ended up needing. Some people do much better than I did post-op, but you never know what kind of shape you will be in until you are there!

• Posted

Sorry, but i cant believe you even contemplated going.  Maybe you don't realise just what a big operation this is.

Wishing your wife all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.