Wife having anxious disorder for the fear of me smoking again

Posted , 3 users are following.

I used to smoke for some time. It was generally 1-2 cigarette a day. My wife asked me to quit and i havent smoke since last 11 months. 

But my wife always have this fear that i will start smoking someday and that she will leave me once i start again. I have spoken to her, entrusted her and ensured that it was never a habit and i will never start again. 

She understands but cannot stop herself from thinking that i could start smoking again. 

Please assist. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Alok sometimes with this type of OCD you maybe have to take control of the situation, I don't know how often this is happening but the next time sit her down, calmly, and basically explain that this is now effecting you and that she needs to trust you, also explain that you are not going to keep doing this and it needs to stop, be gentle, absolutely no shouting just say from now on your not going to keep trying to reassure her, then next time just do not have a conversation about it, I know I sound hard but I have been their and if allowed to continue will cause damage to your marriage, tell her often that she is important to you and this hopefully will help her come to terms with her OCD, I'm not saying that she will never do anything else similar cause sadly anxiety and OCD are all part and parcel of the same illness, it takes time, I would also suggest you make an appointment for you both to go and see your GP and get it on record so if it continues you can get some help and therapy good luck

• Posted

Thank you alexander for the detailed reply. I had talk with my wife last night and she is ok as of now. 
    • Posted

That's good, I hope it continues to improve, staying firm and staying quit will have its benefits I promise, I will say though that if you ever start smoking again you will surely lose her trust forever, I'm sure you want though as even only smoking a few a day can still have unwanted consequences, I quit nearly ten years ago and have not regretted it one bit, I always smell nice as well.

• Posted

Hello. Some time will pass and the wife will calm down. Just keep your promise.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.