Wife in exam room for testicular/hernia check

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello,

My husband and I went to a new doctor for our yearly physical yesterday. We were both happy with the PA for the majority of the exam, but towards the end of my husband's exam , the PA was going to perform a hernia check and testicular exam and she asked me to leave the room. I found it strange, seeing as we had clearly indicated a couple different times and in different ways that we are happily married (and therefore sexually active), however I was going to step out if my husband didn't object to the PA's request. He did say though that he would prefer it if I stayed, and that it was nothing I hadn't seen before. But the PA kept insisting that "it would look suspicious if someone were to come into the room and see what was going on". Finally my husband got his way and she permitted me to stay but she seemed very flustered by my being there. Is this normal?? My husband and I both felt this was very strange and were left wondering if this is typical. We are newly married so we don't have experience going to a physician together. I am an RN though and I can't imagine insisting that a spouse leave for something such as this if it was indicated to me that the spouse receiving the exam wished for the other to stay.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

No reason for her not to stay, some very 'old fashioned' thinking going on there. When we marry we become 'one' and share everything?

• Posted

Isn't it strange that the Dr's are more uncomfortable than you are, I have struck this with my husband of 46 years last year, at the hospital, husband was fine, the Dr got all defensive.

The last time it happened, I just said I'll close my eyes, and shut them.

Husband joked around about usually its my wife doing that, the Dr blushed, and removed hands really quickly, while we were laughing, junior Dr's the the room in training, were trying not to laugh, you could hear the sniggers.

I think dr's need sometimes to grow up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.