Wife's been on Setraline for 10 weeks and now has severe diahorea

Posted , 2 users are following.

help. my wife was put on a low dose of Setraline for pre menopause symptoms mood swings mainly. she started on 50mg for 4 weeks with no side effects so they upped the dose to 100mg. After 2 weeks of being on 100mg, suddenly out of nowhere she has suffered severe diahorea which shows no signs of stopping. At first she couldn't eat at all and it has now lasted 2 weeks and still continues, going 8 times per day. It is a real worry as naturally we are panicking about other more serious issues. Her bowel habits have always been completely normal and never has she suffered this before. The doctors have taken a stool sample which came back clear but that was only testing infection and food poisoning. Her diahorea has got so bad together we have decided she comes off this drug immediately which she stopped taking 3 days ago. But she is still suffering with the same issue and being the weekend we can't speak to a doctor. I am really worried. I have read lots of issues where similar has happened to others and diahorea is listed as a common side effect. But I'm also worried about the potential risk for Microscopic Colitus too. I wondered if anyone can help with any advice or share their similar story. thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Paul, I've been on sertraline for 5 weeks and after 4 weeks I developed bad diarreah. Some people on here have said it calms down eventually but others have said it continues so as of today I'm coming off it. I believe that it can take 1 to 2 weeks for side effects to go away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.