Wild Dreams on Zoloft

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been on sertraline for 2 weeks now and most of the side effects (besides drowsiness and loss of appetite) have passed. However, I have been having some super crazy dreams lately. Is this normal? And does it go away?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

WILD!  I have the most vivid dreams I have ever had in my life!  I have done the start up / dose increase a few times with Zoloft,  and every time I have the most insane dreams,  many of which I never want to remember.  I can tell you from experience that they always ended up going away,  however I know many people have benefited from changing the time of day that they take their medication at.  Maybe ask your doc if that would help?
    • Posted

Mine are nightmares about my ex girlfriend. Long story short, my girlfriend of three year left me when I developed a panic disorder and got in the sack with some other dude like two weeks later. Im sure you can imagine what my nightmares are about lol. However, I am having difficulty because I have tried sleeping 6 hours, and I have tried 8, 10, and 12. Each time I have the same types of dreams and each time I wake up feeling more crumby than when I went to sleep. Any experience with this?
    • Posted

How are the dreams going, Seth?  Mine are still pretty wild,  but at least they are less vivid.
    • Posted

Hey. My dreams have started to calm down some. I am having less nightmares about my ex and more just wild dreams so I think that is a step in the positive direction. I go to the doctor on wednesday and I am a little nervous he is going to want to bump my dose considering I am only taking 12.5mg. Whether placebo or not, it has been helping me. How are you getting on?
    • Posted

Dreams are becoming less like nightmares lately,  which I appreciate,  but they are still pretty crazy.  I am still riding the Zoloft roller coaster,  and hoping the ride evens out soon. Thanks for checking on me smile
  • Posted

I've been on sertraline for nearly 1 year I don't dream every night but when I do they are crazy my favourite one yet was shaking hands with a silver back gorilla who happened to be the same height as me! I've grown to love these dreams lol x 

• Posted

That sounds like an awesome dream! I would love to have more of those. My problem were my initial dreams were constant nightmares, everynight, all night. It made me not want to sleep because I didnt want to see my ex of three years (who I still deeply love and care for and planned on marrying) doing things with other guys in my dreams. Probably my subconcious coming out and firing at full throttle. I am a little nervous because I go to see the doc in a couple days and I think he is going to up my dose. I am on a measly 12.5mg and have been seeing relief. Whether placebo or not, I am doing better than I was when I started. Any suggestions on what it is like to up a dose?
    • Posted

Hi Seth, your dreams sound awful  but like you say its likely to be your subconscious, sounds like you have some things to work through when it comes to your ex which maybe you should tackle head on to help you heal some wounds of course i don't know your situation so apologies if I'm taking out of turn) the gorilla dream was unreal really weird I have no ideas why what or where it came from😂😂😂  You may experience some side affects with upping your dose but it's short lived ... take care x 

• Posted

Hope you’re feeling a bit better now and that the dreams are getting less intense! I myself take Zoloft, 50mg, and been taking it for about 3months now. I’ve tried different antidepressants before but unfortunately they didn’t work however I could not have been happier woth this one it honestly helped me so much! 

I myself experienced very vivid crazy dreams since first taking zoloft and that took my memory back to psychology classes I used to take. I’ll try to be as clear as possible. So SSRIs, such as zoloft increase the serotonin and dopamine in your brain. That can have two affects on your body. You will either be more energetic and positive or more mellow and seduced. For me I know I definitely git more of a kick from zoloft and I could function normally on less sleep rather than staying in bed for the whole day and still feeling exhausted from doing nothing like I did before. Anyway the fact that you are more energised might also mean you gonna wake up during sleep (without realising it of course). If that happens during REM cycle, when the dreaming occurs, you will be more likely to remember those dreams. Sometimes when people sleep they dream without even remembering that they dreamed because their brain during the rest of the sleep just forgets it because it doesn’t register it as something important. However if you subconsciously wake up WHILE the dream/nightmare is occurring you will remember it as it’s still registered in your brain and it will be remembered better when you wake up. In your case if yo uhad a traumatic event happening you could’ve been getting those nightmares very often before taking the meds but just not registering/remembering them and when you started to take the meds it just made you remember them more.

Hope this helps you and other people who are struggling with these strangely vivid dreams!! Good luck in your recovery and hope this all clears some stuff up for you smile

• Posted

I am week 11 on prozac ,10mg starting with real life dreams, don't like them, and I have got to updose tomorrow, do they ever go away, as I find them upsetting,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.