Will a chiropractor be able to reduce my hiatus hernia???

Posted , 6 users are following.

After visiting my doctors on multiple occasions with no help I have decided to try and find help from different places. I have tried changing my diet and exercising and have been on various medications to no avail. Does anyone know whether a chiropractor will be able to help reduce my hernia or even get rid of it fully?

My doctors will not refer me as my situation is apparently not severe enough and I don't really know what else to do. I don't really want to have surgery if a chiropractor can help.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm not a medical professional, but my guess is that you would be wasting your time and money on trying to get your hernia reduced.  Reducing a hernia, does not cure the hernia, it merely pushes the protruding contents back through the opening, but leaves the opening unchanged.  In your case you have an overly-large hiatus, that allowed part of your stomach to be pushed through and if the stomach can be manipulated to be pushed back, after a while (probably a very short while) the stomach will herniate through the hiatus again.  

You didn't mention the type of hiatus hernia you have.  If it is a sliding hiatus hernia, it is constantly self-reducing and herniating as it slides back and forth through the hiatus.  If it's paraesophageal, and if I were you, I'd be responding to this thread from the recovery room after having surgery to repair it.  

Good luck.  

• Posted

I have been seeing a chiropractor for back problems and she has also helped by giving me some exercises for my sliding hernia. They have really helped along with very careful diet. Managed to really reduce medication, so I am pleased. Might also try acupuncture as that has had some good research around it.
    • Posted

hi there. may i please request information of this chiro? we live in the UK it is for my mum.

thank you

• Posted

surgery is THE ONLY OPTION to heal your hiatus hernia, but you must find a good surgeon to undergo the surgery operation.
    • Posted

how is surgery the only option? we can heal ourselves most of these problems and diseases.

• Posted

how are you doing now??are you still on ppi or had surgery done??i am.asking coz i have been recently diagnosed with the same situtaion
  • Posted

how r u doing now??are you still on.ppi drugs??
    • Posted

Hi, I'm actually doing much better now I am finally able to eat again and my hernia seems to have reduced to the point where I am no longer bed bound. I'm still not 100% but I think I am getting there. I did not end up going to the chiropractor but I may book some sessions to see if maybe he can better my situation even more in the future. I am still taking omeprazole, usually I take one every two days and it keeps my acid levels down. If you need any tips just reply to this comment with your symptoms and I will try my best to help!

• Posted

are you supposed to take ppi drug for lifelong?i have been taking rebeprazole for 2 months and still experience esophagus pain and feel like sthg is coming up..early morning my chest pain becomes terrible.any suggestions??
    • Posted

I do take it all the time just because I don't want to relapse and the hernia to come back as bad as it did. I used to get chest pain in the morning and I would bring food up. I have cut out majority of dairy I eat and I'm the mornings I always drink a hot cup of herbal tea or just hot water, camomile and peppermint work best for me. Also try not to fill yourself up with fluids, obviously drink to stay hydrated but do not drink a lot at once as it makes it worse. Also I used a hot water bottle on my chest when I had pains

• Posted

hmm..tnx for ur suggestions...and by the way ppi don't cure hernia..it will always stay there..it may grow over time but it happens rarely..mine is small according to my dr but it caused GERD..my dr advised me.to take it for 3 months.2 months have gone and still those symptoms are there..day before yesterday i forgot my medicine and i experienced worst chest pain ever along with nausea...i wish to become pregnant but i cant do so as i m on these.medications..i m newly married and life seems hell because of this problem..i.will definitely try the hot water bottle formula for the pains..i will let u knw abt my experience once i wean off this ppi drug...please keep in touch and let me know about your health and how you are dealing with this problem..smile

• Posted

Yes I know it's very annoying, sadly they never go away the symptoms just get bettersad keep me updated on any changes! Take care x

• Posted

and one thing...do visit the chiropactor and get off ppi and see the results..some yrs back i was told i had fibromylagia and there is no cure..i left the office of dr and did yoga and it cured all my pains!!you should try for chiro and let me knw the results..
  • Posted

Hi Isobel sorry to hear what symtoms do you get? I have have a 3cm sliding hiatus hernia since last Feb and it's making my life miserable so feel your pain. I just get 24/7 heartburn which gets worst with caffeine/alcohol and it's scarey as it feels so much like angina.

I just waiting for my 2nd endoscopy and will most likely chase surgery maybe even go private, have you tried the Iqoro device?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.