Will a walking stick help my situation??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Okay so I'm 18 and have had arthiritus (undiagnosed correctly) for ten years. Due to the progression and the hospital not being able to identify what the cause of my pain is, I now have it in almost all my joints and I'm in severe and chronic pain all day everyday.. Recently after just being started on sulfasalazine, with no improvement as of yet, I am finding it increasingly harder to walk without being in pain and half the time it's unbearable to walk.. My walking isn't really restricted apart from the pain in all of my leg joints, and I can walk fairly well, but I was wondering if a walking stick would help me?? I don't really know, but I'm willing to try anything, can someone please help me??

Becki

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hello i have had pain for 15 years only just been diagnosed  with RA i am on  sulfasalazine been taking it for 3 weeks now and i feel better but i did have a steriod injection just befor i started sulfasalazine

try a walking stick it wont harm i could not use one because my wrists were so painful but i did fall about  a year ago my legs ankles just gave way i think it does take a while for medication to work

did you not get a steriod injection

carol24346

• Posted

I did get a steroid injection, it took the edge off a bit but I'm still in a lot of pain, my wrists hurt too and my shoulders so that's the only thing I'm worried about with a stick, but I really feel like I'm at the end of my tetherrolleyes do you think it's worth trying one then?? Thank you so much for your replies carol and daniela!! It means so much to have some support!
    • Posted

If your wrists are painful too using a stick will make it more painful.Give it a try yourself but If I try do anything with my hands the wrist swells with more pain.I am on sulfazaline too but I am on steroids and I am still in pain.are you on steroids with yours
    • Posted

My consultant wouldn't put me on steroids, he gave me the injection and said I just had to carry on using the sulfasalazine, I just don't know how to cope with the pain anymore, you know?? How do you relieve pain??
  • Posted

so far i am ok but my doctor gave me pain killers on prescription they are Co-Dyramol
  • Posted

Hi Becki

I feel SO sorry for you, you are so young.  I was talking to you the other day (I do Animal Science) All I can say is try the walkng stick - anything is worth a try.  I know Sulphasalazine could take a few months to start to work but the steroid injection should have been good enough for pain releif until the medication kicks in.  I would definately go back to the doctors again - you shouldn't have to put up with the pain - i'm sure there is something else they can give you to help. Try a hot water bottle on some of your joints and some nice long soaks in a warm bath.  But definately go back to doctors for some strong painkillers.

• Posted

I remember you, don't worry!:-) and you really gave me the support I needed:-) I go back to the doctors tomorrow for some more pain killers thank god! And I really hope the sulfasalazine does kick in soon.. I don't know how to approach my my at the thought of getting a stick though.. Or my boyfriend, because I know they will be so upset, but I need some help rolleyes
    • Posted

It must be really difficult for people around us seeing us in pain.  I really hope your doctor sorts you out with something tomorrow.  Is it the doctor or hospital who have mentioned a walking stick? Have they mentioned methatrexate to you? I can't remember whether sulphasalazine slows the joint damage or whether its just a type of painkiller.  I don't think it is very strong though.  The joint damage is my main worry (apart from the pain!!) I've been to the doctors today because I only had ibuprofen and paracetamol (because i'm tryiing for a baby) and had to have co-codamol because i'm still in loads of pain - it seems to have taken the edge off a bit.  I'd discuss the walking stick with the doctor tomorrow. It would be such a shame to have a walking stick but if it helps........ I'm sure they can do something to get you our of so much pain.... Make sure you tell them how much pain you're in otherwise they may just give you run of the mill stuff like paracetamol and ibuprofen.
    • Posted

Thank you Anna! And the doctor wanted me to go on methotrexate but I didn't want to, so I might have to look into that instead! And I thought of the walking stick from other sTories of people, and just wanting to try anything really! Thank you so much everyone!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.