Will anti depressants help zop withdrawal desperate!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Been through 9 months of sheer hell with zopiclone withdrawal, not improving at all, been advised by helpline that normally takes 12 months plus to improve. In desperation tried citalopram but hasn't helped and made my hair fall out. Going to try another one just wondered if anyone else had any success with SSRI's in helping withdrawal. Tried everything therapy, CBT nothing helps. Symptoms bad anxiety and intrusive thoughts really felt like I'm going mad at times. This year been the worst of my entire life

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi the medical advice is that these are not addictive , but i found you can get one hell of a physical withdrawal from these. Im learning that zoplicone and diazepam withdrawl feel very similar and can take a long time for your body to come right after the last final one. I cant put a time frame on it but Ive found it can go on and on at acute AND at sub acute levels. The time delay makes me wonder if its something else ?? But Ive read about people having all kinds of negative tests come out and it turned out to be withdrawal . Its hard not fr your mind to think its probaby just withdrawal sometimes. Also If your worried see the doctor better to get something investigated just in case than not at all. Doctors will usually do the tests even if your in withdrawal it wont do any harm if your worried . Try take each day at a time and everyone may be different . However it would be nice to have some timeline on it 12 months sounds harsh but the level should be more sub acute after the inital final stop then it sounds like it peaks again over the next few weeks and then a several weeks / possibly months or longer at sub acute levels( note Im not specifying as i really dont know ). Ive found trying not to worry about protracted withdrawal helps and i once took venlafaxine which is a SNI i think not a SSRI helped before but I cant take them anymore as they cause horrendous night sweats for me which defeat the object. But I will say not every one gets this adverse sweating. Keep on at your doctor if you want to try something else .and take their advice. Hope this helps best of luck C

• Posted

Just to be clear the anti depressant was prescribed by a doctor 20 years ago so the thinking may be different but see your doctor for advice seems the best way to proceed and go from there.

• Posted

There is no such thing as 'normal' in a benzo or z drug taper. Symptoms come and go as the brain adjusts itself and that process takes whatever time it needs - you can't hurry it.

I would avoid taking another psych drug. SSRI's and other drugs generally make things worse in an already stressed out brain.

Have you tried EFT? It is one technique that many benzo people say helped them to recover. You might want to Google EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and try it for yourself but it is important to use your own words and emotions rather than following the script exactly.

• Posted

Tried everything, I'm going to try the new meds worth a try, my symptoms don't come and go they are relentless all the time, figure it's worth a try got nothing to loose. Think mine particularly bad as was forced to just stop it. Tried mindfulness, positive talking, my brain just doesn't relate to anything. Thanks for the advice anyway.

• Posted

they don't recommend a long withdrawal from zopiclone as it's got short half life, so harder to come off than diazapam. Ashton method recommends you switch to diazapam then do gradual withdrawal from that. my gp retired and new Gp refused to give me any more zopiclone and wouldn''t let me have any diazapam so it's been pretty brutal. Everyone says nasty drug to try come off and doctors don't seem to have any knowledge about how long withdrawal takes. Been contacting benzo help line and a year does seem average before you see improvement. Figure worth trying SSRI as could have another 3 months of this hell. They are both hard to come off but think zopiclone worse than diazapami as faster acting and the tablets so tiny difficult to cut them up when reducing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.