Will anxiety ever go away again

Posted , 7 users are following.

We're all speaking of anxiety like it's a third person when it's really coming from the inside. Being something that is so closely connected to our subconscious feelings it's also frighteningly uncontrollable. 

Will we ever get rid of it completely?

Since anxiety took over my life for the first time about three and a half months ago it has gotten a lot better, but it feels like it's always going to be part of my life now. I feel like simply by having experienced it, by having experienced the terrible fear and panic that comes with it, by having had so many aches and pains in my body that I never had before and never thought about before, I have now opened a door which I can't just close again because I can never forget what's behind it. I think my body is always going to fall back in this panic mode when something is going wrong now. It's just so uncontrollable. People don't get that anxiety does what it wants, you can't just get over it. I'm a "just get over it" kind of person, well I was, but now I'm just helpless.

I get terrible chest feelings, like pains and tightness fluttering and emptiness and fear and dizziness, and there is nothing I can do about it.

Sure I have done my research, I've confronted it, I've tried to accept it and float with it, done plenty of yoga and breathing exercises. I confronted my worst fear at one point when I had to get on a plane and thought I would suffocate or collapse mid air. This all helped and I have really good phases where I feel normal again. And I REALLY appreciate feeling normal now. Like not thinking about my breathing, not wondering where the nearest hospital is, being able to go to bed without listening to relaxation tapes, having some drinks and going out without being scared of disapponting the people I'm with because I might get a panic attack. But sometimes the anxiety just comes back and it's absolutely awful. I know some of you have been dealing with it for much longer but I just can't accept it. It makes me so upset and so angry because I feel like it's stopping me from so many things. I love travelling and now I'm actually scared to treck through a rainforest or find a lonely beach or go hiking or get drunk midday in some foreign city and everything that excites me, because I am truly terrified of getting my horrible physical symptoms and having no one to help me and no place to go. I can't stand being out of control.

I'm sorry this has turned from a question into a rant. How are you guys coping with it? x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

We just live with it. Unfortunately there is no cure. Some off us manage it with meds and some without. I don't take meds because of my fear of them. We all share the symptoms and the feelings if helplessness. You are not alone. X
  • Posted

hi Cat91. so sorry to hear the limiting effects anxiety is having on u and your life. it's such a limiting condition. the answer to your question -will your body always fall back to this default reaction of anxiety/panic when times get tough? no, i don't think that's always the case. in the begining the FEAR element overwhelms. however, in time your body will get used to the adrenaline rush and will not react with such powerfull overwhelm. this gives u time/opportunity to put your anti stress techniques in place. then the body's balance of power is reversed and you'll find you're back in control. the body body can unlearn just as well as it can learn. so go easy on yourself. appreciate each little onward step. pat yourself on the back for each achievement. have a look @ Emotional Freedom Technique' (EFT) on google. it's easy to learn & self-apply. it's very powerful in collapsing the charge of emotions like fear, anger, apprehension etc. etc. it renders them neutral as well as lots of other intrusive thoughts & limiting beliefs.

best wishes

Caitlin

, acute stress reaction & panic attacks are horrible & persplexing. however, in time you will learn to manage them rather than them managing you. that will come when your fear thermomoter is less highly charged.

• Posted

Hi I feel much the same way as you. I have bad anxiety then it gets a bit better and then worse again and so the cycle goes on. Drs have told me that if I'm predisposed to be a bit of a worrier than I will always be like that but that most people get better from anxiety and live a relatively normal life. I always hope that this is true and one day it will go away forever. Some people on here say they have cured theirs. So here's hoping.
  • Posted

Hi there,

Wow, I feel like you wrote my exact experience on here. From the loving to travel being taken away to the thoughts about nearest hospitals.

I was explaining my anxiety to my mom today and told her that basically I have my regular self that is still the old me, with all the same hopes and desires. Then I also have the anxiety that makes my experience scary to terrifying depending on the day/moment/situation. I HATE it so much!

When I am feeling better, I always have a tiny worry about when it will come back and when I'm at my worst, I try my hardest to push through but it is SO hard!

I have a lot of bad reactions to different medications so I haven't broken down to take prescriptions (except that I took buspar for one summer but it made my anxiety worse). I currently take inositol, magnesium, vit B, a daily vitamin, and I have some essential oils to try when anxiety is high although I'm just starting that.

I am not successful in it yet but I know exercise is really good and highly recommended by all experts.

I do wish you the best of luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.