will blood clot clear

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi.... I have paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, what I would like to know is when I have an afib episode and blood clots in my heart will the clot clear once my afib episode is over

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Many people with afib are put on blood thinners so that blood clots will not develop and result in strokes.

Jim

• Posted

i am alraedy on blood thinners but have read that there is still a chance of clotting
    • Posted

Hello Minko,

Where have you read this? I would echo the answers from other posters and suggest you discuss this with your cardiologist or GP, the Riveroxaban you are taking should be preventing any blood clots from forming.

• Posted

Your cardiologist should have carried out a risk assessment to determine whether blood thinners are needed long term for you. If your risk factors are high, they will likely put you on them. I was on thinners before and after procedures, but have now stopped with the agreement of my consultant. Clots are the risky bit of PAF. I suggest further discussion with your med team.
    • Posted

i am already on riveroxaban and bisoprolol i thought even though i was on blood thinners there was still a chance of clots
  • Posted

Hi Minko, the advice here is good, but if you are still unsure you need to get reassurance from your cardiologist. I had a stroke due to AF, before I even knew I had AF, and before taking an anti-coagulant; this was due to a blood clot. I have subsequently had an ablation for the AF (June 2017), which so far seems to have been successful, but I expect to be on Apixaban (Eliquis) for the foreseeable future.

Although I accept there is still a small chance of a clot, it is significantly less than if I were not on an anticoagulant. I am largely confident that the anti-coagulant will keep me safe, and I have carried on my life much as before, albeit with a minor legacy of the stroke. As far as your question is concerned I could not answer it with any certainty, but my suspicion is that if a clot were to form as a consequence of an AF episode, the clot would not necessarily clear when the episode was over, but don't quote me!

Good luck

Sherpa Al

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.