Will dry eye go back to normal?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Will my dry eye improve when discontinuing the use of antihistamines and nasal decongestants? I got my dry eye when starting these medications and will it return back to normal when I stop them?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Just in one eye?

I have that as a recurring problem in one eye at a time. Usually for a short time but this time it has lasted for about three months in my right eye. Diagnosis was dry eye with a cloudy film on it. The drops I was prescribed have not helped after using for four weeks.

• Posted

Hey! Yeah, I have it in my right eye and it has persisted for about 2 weeks now. I am not sure whether or not it was from the Zyrtec-D because I only took 2 pills in 2 days and I don't take any antihistamine on a regular basis. I have had to take Zyrtec-D in the past as well for my sinus infections and my eyes have had no issues from it. It is weird however because the onset was so sudden and previously I have had some episodes which have solved within a few hours/days. I think I will go to a doctor tomorrow because the pain and burning sensation has become unbearable and my vision in that eye is also so blurry.

• Posted

I don't have pain or burning nor does my eye really feel dry as it did after my caaract operation it is just this cloudy/blurry situation. Underneath it my vision seems OK. One morning I had it in the other eye as well but it wore off.

• Posted

Were you taking the antihistamines and nasal decongestants for hay fever?  The dry eye could be part of the hay fever and not a side effect of the medication. Maybe you should also be using eye drops for allergies.
    • Posted

I took the meds for sinus swelling, no hay fever. But side effects shouldn't last for 2 weeks anyway, should they?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.