Will ever walk again??

Posted , 4 users are following.

My brother was diagnosed with intramedulary spinal tumor. Preop he had weakness in his legs and could walk with support his sensations became vague and experienced urinary retention. Post op its been 5 months. His left leg can lift against gravity abit but right doesnt. He cant stand let alone walk. And is on catheter for urine retention although he can feel when his bladderis full. I want to know will his condition improve. Will he ever walk again or get rid of catheter?? Anyone experienced this before. Is desperate in need of prayers and hope for him.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

After surgery two years ago I was completely paralyzed from the waist down, could not even wiggle my toes.  Nurses and doctors referred to me as a paraplegic.

Had to use a catheter for a while but after a couple of months I did not need it any more.

Started getting movement and feeling back slowly over the next 12 months and took my first steps almost a year after surgery. A year after those first few slow and painful steps I have since walked more than 750 km and can walk up to 7km a day now with and without a walking stick.

Of course he will walk again, if he really wants to, and he is willing to do the hard work.  Then it is not a matter of Will he ever walk again ? but How long until he walks again.

• Posted

Michael your story is very inspiring. Many continued steps be in your future . 
    • Posted

Hey great story! Gives me hope, just want to ask what were you operated for? And after how long did you lose the catheter?
    • Posted

In March 2015 I  was admitted to hospital, in Australia, with severe backpain and numbness in my legs and abdomen. My legs had all but stopped working.

Turned out I had non-Hodgkins lymphoma in my spine, T5.

Underwent surgery in the John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle that night,  underwent T4-T7 decompression laminectomies, T2-T7 pedicle screw stabilisation and postero-lateral fusion.

Woke up in ICU paralyzed from the waist down.  I think it was about 3 months before I ditched the catheter.  Took a lot of effort, first time they removed it I could not pee and the pain was unreal, I begged them to put it back in.  The second time I was determined to be rid of it and tried as hard as I could to "go" naturally and it worked.

The "other" toilet business took a bit longer to control. 

• Posted

Thats nice!! Its takes alot to go through all that! I have few more questions for you will appreciate if you answer. Did u get the normal physiotherapy or went to paralysis rehab?

Also did you experience any muscle stiffness during recovery how did u cope with that?

Was there an amount of time when you didnt see any improvement?

And did you get the catheter removed for practice or clamp it and for how long??

• Posted

I had physio in hospital for the seven months I was in there, I suppose you call it both normal physio and paralysis rehab.

After I left hospital I did it all on my own, taught myself to walk again and do the everyday things.  Did not have any outside help.

Don't know about muscle stiffness but two years later I am still suffering muscle spasms and cramps which is why I take Baclofen every day, really suffer if I forget to take a tablet, the pain is unreal.

Also take Pregabalin for nerve pain, 225mg a day is the least I can cope with.

Was on 450mg a day in hospital.

My recovery has been like a flight of stairs, sometimes I am on the flat part and things don't seem to be improving, then you go up a step when something gets better, like being able to walk up the stairs without holding the handrail etc.

You must be patient and don't lose heart when things look like they are not improving, if anything work harder and make it happen. When it does it makes you feel like it was worth it.

They took the catheter out completely the first time they tried it, only lasted a short while and had to have it put back.  The second time I tried as hard as I could to function without it and have not had one since.

Remember everyone is different, you may improve quicker than I did.

Good luck and work hard !

• Posted

So inspiring, Michael! I underwent similar surgery last March C4 to T7. I spent 7 months in rehab and am currently in a wheelchair. My diagnosis is ASIA C incomplete and I have a lot of the same symptoms (e.g., nerve pain, spasms) and I have so many questions! To begin: what sort of physio did you do?
    • Posted

Hi Shanna,

We do have a bit in common, my fusion was T2-T7 and I was in hospital for seven months after the op.

Also I was in a wheelchair when I was released in Nov 2015.

Did not know if I was ever going to walk again for a while there, had to learn all over again.

Lot of pain and hard work, started off doing leg exercises in parallel bars etc and then standing for as long as I could and trying to get my balance back.

The best thing I ever did was to go in the hydrotherapy pool, my balance and walking skills improved a lot after that.

Started actually taking steps unassisted in March 2016 and have walked over 2,000 km since then.

Threw the walking stick away about 6 months ago, found my walking and balance improved a lot after doing that as well.

Still suffer from muscle spasms and nerve pain but not as bad as the first year after the op.

If you are determined to walk again and willing to do the hard yards you at least have a chance of getting out of that wheelchair.

Please ask me any questions you think of, I will be glad to answer you.

Good luck !

• Posted

Update on my brother, hes taking few steps with his left leg right is still lagging behind and need a push from physiotherapist. He gets exhausted way more now so its effecting his physiotherapy. As much im happy about walking progress im worried about the catheter still there. Been 8 months still hasnt ditched the catheter.. will that happen? Did anyone take longer to do that?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.