Will going out help lift depression?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I am suffering low mood at the moment and really want to hibernate. A group of girlfriends keep asking me to go out for my birthday. I want to let it pass unmarked this year (bereavement and illness) Would I be wise to force myself to go out or is it best to listen to my body and stay at home?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You do what you feel you have to but if you have been under a lot of stress maybe getting out may take your mind of it nd u may enjoy it x
    • Posted

Thanks derek.

Good point. The worst that can happen is that I don't enjoy the evening. Maybe I am just being negative but I feel I'd rather spend evening with husband as he has just lost both parents this year.Also I have been ill and still walking with a crutch which puts me off going into a pub or restaurant.

• Posted

I'm sure your husband would want you to enjoy yourself as I'm sure you have been his rock through a really hard time , maybe u need to let your hair down x
  • Posted

Hi Shirley, I can see your point of view...I am sure that your friends mean well and care very much about you....that is why I am sure that they would understand if you declined their kind invitation....it may do you good to go...but if you would rather not..then leave it, there are always other occasions to celebrate....

I am so sorry also to hear of the sadness and illness you have both faced...warm hugs.to you both....and happy birthday also.....Deirdre xxx...

• Posted

Thanks deirdre,

I can see both sides of this. I know I have got to make an effort to fight off this low mood but I really have not got the stamina to go out and eat a meal late at night. I no longer get any pleasure out of sitting in a restaurant surrounded by people. It.'s not a treat for me any more. The less I go out, the less I want to. At this rate I am turning into a recluse.

• Posted

It isn't an easy question to answer.  The logical answer would be to go out and take your mind off everything, but I find that being amongst happy people when I am down.....especially as in your case of suffering bereavement etc. just makes things worse.  I know what I would do if I were in your position, I would stay at home, but I am NOT saying that it would be right for you.  I suppose it depends a lot on how understanding your friends are, but I am sure they would support you whatever choice you make.

Anyway, happy Birthday love, try to enjoy some of it because the person you have lost would want you to.

Pat.

• Posted

Thanks patricia,

I am still dithering. I will probably end up going as I don'.t want to let them down.

Maybe I should think about others and not be so wrapped up in myself.

• Posted

Hi Shirley, I've been in a similar position before and my friends have ended up just ringing my doorbell, so I didn't have a choice! I did feel better for getting out with people who cared about me though, but I don't think I was feeling as low as you seem to be.

What about a compromise? I'm sure your friends will understand if you explain to them you just can't face 'going out', and perhaps instead you could all gather at someones house and have takeaway. That way nobody is having to go to any bother to provide food, you can relax and be with your friends and if it gets to a point where you have had enough, they can just pop you in a taxi home! 

But it's your birthday, so definitely do what suits you...and don't feel guilty about it!

xx

• Posted

Thanks mari,

That sounds OK.

Maybe my kids are right when they say, "Just suck it up and stop moaning." 

• Posted

Compromise..How about going out but just for dessert or a bite. Sounds like you feel your husband needs you right now. A couple of hours might be healthy for you to get out and about a bit.laughing is very healing
  • Posted

Hi! I think it would be a good idea to go out! When my depression started I wanted to crawl in bed all day but the more I went out the better I felt! You should try to do something everyday, it will help you feel better sooner
  • Posted

hey shirley,

You should definitely go out.. Even if you can't enjoy you would feel better and calm in fresh air... xx

-kru

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.