Will have to change antidepressant and am scared.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Ive been on sertraline for 21 years. I'm on the highest dose but its no longer working. Due eto see my GP tomorrow and will probably have to change to something else. Terrified of the way I'm going to feel if I change( the side effects of withdrawing then starting a new drug )  and wondering how I will cope with work if I feel really bad. So frightened.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hello impycelyn,

Not being a medic I can't be much help but it seems to me that having been on this med for so long that a sudden change would probably be a not ve3ry good idea. I wonder if a gradual change is in order so that there is no shock to the system. This is your doc's call of course but if you explain your fears I am sure they will take that on board. Good luck

• Posted

Hi Impycelyn,

my heart goes out to you. I have been on for 10 years and suffered bad relapse when I stopped a maintenance dose, now back on but not helping so quickly this time. Try not to be scared, just tell doc everything about the way you are feeling. I think sometimes they give you an additional a.d. and you still take the sert, so there may be no need to worry about withdrawal symptoms. I am sure your dr. will know the best thing to do, if not, can you ask for referral to psychiatrist who will know more about how to prescribe the right drugs? Good luck and let me know how you get on x

• Posted

hi...thats what I'm hoping for . I cant see any other way around this than to see a psychiatrist. I dont think I'll settle until I've seen the doc tomorrow

• Posted

I'm really worried they'll just plough right in and reduce the dose . I'm worried out of my mind about it all. x

• Posted

Do you have a CPN ?

They also will keep an eye on you and suggest any coping skills regarding medication. You see your GP tomorrow explain your concerns

Have you been given coping skills ? Relaxation Techniques could help.

• Posted

Hi, hope you are feeling ok. How did you get on at the Docs? x
    • Posted

Hello

Have you seen the GP, how did you get on?.

It is important that you feel comfortable with medication changes and your GP has explained to you what to expect. Whatever was agreed please do not sensitise yourself over medication change, Forget the change and live your life as we all have a tendancy to worry when we do not know the unknown.it just makes us want to change again and that can feed upon itself and we become needful to change once more.

Good Luck

Keep the Faith

BOB

• Posted

Well after all that worry my GP did nothing except make a psychiatric referral . I  had hoped that if nothing else whe might have given me something to cope with the anxiety. She's leaving the sertraline as it stands .She tells me I'll be "triaged"

and sent to the aappropriate person? Dont really understand this as I'm already seeing a counsellor she sent me to two months ago ( its not really helping ) . So, not quite at square one but not at square two either !

• Posted

hi sarah... dont know if you can see my reply to borderriever so am copying it below... Just wanted to say a big thank you for asking me how I got on .

Well after all that worry my GP did nothing except make a psychiatric referral . I  had hoped that if nothing else whe might have given me something to cope with the anxiety. She's leaving the sertraline as it stands .She tells me I'll be "triaged"

and sent to the aappropriate person? Dont really understand this as I'm already seeing a counsellor she sent me to two months ago ( its not really helping ) . So, not quite at square one but not at square two either !

• Posted

They genrally will need a good reason to change your medications. If the trick cycalist feels there need to be a change he may feel another drug may suppliment your treatment, so just relax and put it all out of your mind.

The more you worry about something it could just make matters worse just enjoy your Summer. When do you need to go ? At the moment Mental Health is a real poor relation according to the NHS

Good Luck

BOB

• Posted

Dont know. The doctor was sending the referral off today. One of my anxiety symtoms that is getting to me is the feeling of having a lump at the back of my throat . Completely forgot to mention it to the doc . Just fed up of the lot of it
    • Posted

Hi impycelyn,

I think seeing the psychiatrist is the best possible move, they are more knowledgable than the dr. on these types of drugs and you are much more likely to get the right prescription, so this is a good step in the right direction! I hope you don't have to wait too long fo see him. In the meantime, if your main problem is anxiety, I can recommend reading 'dare'  available on amazon , it certainly helped me cope better with anxiety. Not a miracle cure, but it does slowly help. All the best, and you WILL feel better shortly. Take care x

• Posted

That is what I used to do, now I make a list of what I want to talk about.

If there is more than one problem ask the Reception for a double appointmnt and you will not feel rushed or flustered.

You will need to make an appointment to see the GP again. Do not worry about forgetting about your throat, many patients do the same thing you are not alone

BOB

• Posted

I remember when I was younger my CPN recommended my medications. They know the best way as does the Psychiatrist. So they are really knowledgable what they want to achieve with selected medications. You are in good hands.

BOB

• Posted

Do not worry regards this, while it can be problematic it will generally not take to long to get the new drug into your system. Most medications they can give belong to the same group, contraindiations may be a problem although your GP will be watching the situation and could wean you of the old medication while introducing the new on.Eventually the new drug will be increased to your new working dose

Remember your GP is in partnership with you as far as your Health is concerned

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.