Will having an SVT during exercise double or more your heart rate

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I went for a nuclear stress test yesterday where I walked on the treadmill until my heart rate was up to 168 for 9.5 minutes. I was so concerned I was going to have an SVT. The nurse practitioner said that an SVT doubles your heart rate. Does that mean if I am exercising and my heart rate is 160, a sudden SVT can put my heart rate at 320? That doesn't make sense.

Thanks,

James

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Her first statement ("svt doubles your hear rate) isn't accurate so I wouldn't extrapolte from it. My resting HR is in the 60's but I've had SVT as high as 199bpm. That's not double. No idea how it would work if I was working out but in general SVT is not fatal so I wouldn't dwell on it. Also, I assume they have the proper equiptment at the nuclear lab just in case smile

Jim

• Posted

Thanks for the reply. I kind of figured that. My resting heart rate is 60 also. I have had it for over 15 years now but that last two years as seen a huge increase. It started out as 1 a year, then eventually around 11 a year. Now I am averaging once a week. They want to put me on a loop monitor and may suggest an ablation because they said my resting heart rate is too slow for beta-blockers. Have you had any medical treatment for it or do you just live with it?
    • Posted

Hi James,

My plan was to try lifestyle intervention, meds and ablation in that order. I am still on the lifestyle stage meaning no meds at all. So far so good and no SVT episodes in almost 70 days while I had 17 episodes in the three months preceding. Not sure exactly what helped but I eliminated caffeine and almost all alcohol, lost 15 pounds and went on a FODMAP diet. Studies suggest that losing 10% of your weight can have a significant effect on arrhythmias.

Should the episodes start coming back at a frequency I can't tolerate then I will try beta blockers and if that doesn't work add an arrythmia drug to the mix like flecanide. I take issue with the fact that your HR is too low for beta blockers. We have a similar resting HR and none of the EPs I spoke to mentioned it was too low for beta blockers. And in any event you would start with a low dose.

Ablation would be my last choice if either the meds didn't work or I couldn't tolerate them.

That said, I have mixed arrythmias -- SVT, afib, aflutter. If I only had pure SVTs, I would be more apt to consider ablation since SVT ablation has close to a 95% success rate and is much shorter and less invasive than an afib ablation.

Jim

Jim

• Posted

Great reply. Thank you. I am glad your plan is working for you!! I have kicked caffeine two weeks ago and it made no difference. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. My diet is good, although I will have to look up this FODMAP diet. The only major changes is that this all occurred once I gained weight. I spent the first 40 years of my life at 185 pounds. The last 13 years have fluctuated between 220 and 240. I am on the path of getting my weight under 200 and see what happens. According to my diary I keep, I experienced less SVT's when I was below 220. Also, the answers to my questions has been from the nurse practitioner, not the doctor, who I will see next week to review my echo cardiogram and stress test. I actually had all this done 4 years ago at the same office, but since it has been 4 years and my SVT's have increased, they wanted a new base line. I wore a monitor 4 years ago, but of course I didn't have an SVT while I wore it, so they never really recorded exactly what I have although the nurse practitioner believes it is SVT's. Thanks for the advice! 

• Posted

No the Nurse doesn't know what she's talking about at all.   SVT is an entirely different rhythm, not a doubling of sinus rhythm.

Besides if you were exercising and you switched to SVT you'd stop exercising.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.