Will i always have diverticulitis

Posted , 6 users are following.

Please could someone explain this letter to me. Will have divericilitis all the time ,or does it come and go.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My believe is that once you have it you will always have it. You can go for along time without a flare it’s about diet no seeds skins nuts   Everyone is different I also have IBS so there are a lot of foods I can’t eat 
  • Posted

I believe once you've been diagnosed then it is something that you 'have' but you should control so that you do not have any flare ups.  There is lots of information on the site for eating, making sure you get your good gut bacteria back especially if you've been on antibiotics.  If you've just had your first attack I would try to limit the first few days to a liquid diet and then slowly introduce food.  I think a lot of us take pre and probiotics to help keep our bacteria healthy which is very important and of course, fibre as well.  Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Mary, I am new to this diverticulosis thing.  Had first incident begin of June, and 2nd one 2 weeks ago.  Have been on 2 rounds of antibiotics and since the 2nd course I feel great.  I am keeping my fingers it does not come back.  I am having a colonoscopy this Friday and that should show what portion of my intestine is involved and how severe.  I am drinking lots of water and doing OTC Probiotic daily.  I am keeping fiber intake low until I get colonoscopy results.  Eating fairly normal foods but smaller portions and chewing everything very slowly and carefully.  My dr. told me that she does not think it's related to any foods in particular, she told me to eat as always.  However, my first attack followed after I ate a huge amount of popcorn at the movies.  In my  mind I think is what triggered it.  So I will not be eating any more popcorn EVER!  The pouches on our intestines that are "diverticula" never go away, almost everyone over 50 has them.  The problem is that when something foreign gets stuck in these pouches, it can become inflamed or infected.  That is what diverticulitis is.  So, NO hopefully you will not have diverticulitis forever.  You should be able to learn to manage it and avoid future flareups.  We will all have diverticulosis forever once we are diagnosed with it.  I understand if it's really bad that surgery can be performed to remove the part of the intestine that has the diverticula's (pouches).  I pray that neither one of us has to have that done.  I hear it's a tough surgery to recover from.  Good luck Mary, I hope we both make full recoveries.

• Posted

I once ate a large bag of popcorn this year and suffered for 7 days, clogged up, chills, nausea, pain bleeding and unable to eat. I'll never do that again.

• Posted

Hi Mary!  I had diverticulitis.  I had the surgery , removed the area causing the problem.  I had a temporary ostomy.  Had reversal surgery 10 mos later.  I was told I’ll never have the problem again.  

That was five years ago.... I eat anything I want, It’s great!

• Posted

Thank you everyone for your advice and stories. I have only had one flare up, after my hernia repair and reflux keyhole surgery in September 2017.It was horrible. I didn't even know i had DD until April, had problems with stomach upsets, fatigue, niggling aches in tummy, nothing major. However last year my white blood cell marker was a little high, 26. Doctors said there was some inflamation in the body, so i am assuming it was diverticilitis, before a diagnosis of diverticular. Just hope i don't get really ill from it. I hate water and hate fibregel,help xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.