Will I be able to attend a wedding 4 days after arthroscopy?

Posted , 4 users are following.

The wedding is about a 3 hour drive. Will I be able to handle that so soon? Suspect not.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I'd ask your surgeon his opinion, i think it will depend on what they're doing when in there. If they're taking some meniscus out they say you should be able to weight bear and walk although probably on crutches, but if they repair the meniscus you can't do that. You aren't allowed to weight bear I don't think for a few weeks. I had an arthroscopy (removal of torn medial meniscus) back in June and was unlucky & had a horrid recovery, but I have been told that has just been rubbish luck. I'd personally err on the side of caution, and I wouldn't want to be in a car that long. But you may have a fab, straight forward procedure and be feeling great! 

• Posted

Thank you. Can you please tell me more about your experience? They are thinking meniscus.
    • Posted

Hi, at the beginning of June I just stood up awkwardly & ended up with an extensive tear in my medial meniscus (as opposed to the lateral meniscus) The tear was too much to mend so they removed the torn portion on 17th June. I was told I should be able to weight bear and walk out of hospital, maybe with the need for crutches for a couple of days or so. And be back to 'normal' within 6-8 weeks. My story isn't common (the who does loads of arthroscopies each week surgeon says he sees it in one patient every 5 years) so don't worry! But basically for 3 days post-op I was in utter agony, couldn't move leg, couldn't put even the smallest amount of weight it it, husband had to take me to the loo/dress me etc. Crazy! Eventually called hospital in tears and they got me back in - I'd had bleeding into the knee joint which had caused all the pain. Had to have that syringed out. Huge relief! Felt better straight away but then got worse again over the next week - back in & another syringe of blood removed. Couldn't bend leg far at all, and I just had gut feeling it wasn't just due to swelling, eventually saw surgeon again & he said I likely had internal scarring which was stopping me bending. Suggested an MUA (manipulation under anaesthetic) to forcibly bend and straighten leg to break up the internal scar tissue. First one didn't help, so went a few weeks after for another, this time with a steroid injection. This did the trick. But basically I'm the midst of all this, I still couldn't lift my leg up off the ground, and I was referred to physio due to 'profound quad weakness' So I've spent the past 3 months working on getting my right leg to work again. Was on 2 crutches, couldn't drive for 3 mths as had no strength in leg. Managed to build up quads enough to drop to just one crutch and am finally able to drive again as my leg is strong enough to do an emergency stop finally again!  Still can't crouch/kneel/walk fast/walk without a limp/pivot on it, BUT I have some independence back. 

My story is t common I promise, but you asked for the details so there you are! smile

Most people won't get that, I just had crappy luck, the bleeding wasn't surgical error that i know of, just one of those things that can happen but doesn't often.

I would just give yourself time to rest post-op, to sit and elevate your leg to reduce any swelling. I think the majority of meniscetomys are pretty straight forward and uneventful, I just pulled the short straw!!

• Posted

Thank you. I guess you are a "worst case scenario" type. I do appreciate your story. Had to postpone my surgery a week. It's not that it's so unbearable right now, but it gets better/worse and you just never know when. And it's getting progressively worse in that the pain is more frequent. Thought about not having the surgery but figure it's coming and I might as well do it while I'm in good health AND my deductibles are paid for the year. A plus.

• Posted

I personally thinks that it is ok to go anywhere provided u hv space to straighten your leg comfortably.. cause the first 2 weeks bending and sitting upright is painful because of the tightness around the knee. You hv to start doinf physiotherapy right after u discharge fm the hospital. Take care. Today is my 18th day of post surgery. Much better as i hv been working hard on the flexibility and strengthening.
  • Posted

I had mine done 5th September (left knee), and have an automatic car so left leg just rests but can only can do short journeys, 30 mins at most then knee/leg aches.

Still at 4 weeks later cant bend or straighten it very stiff, first physio last week, trying do do stuff at home. But got foot caught in something I left on floor and furious with myself as made me stumble and knee swollen and very sore now! Arrrgghhhh!

Hope your recovery better then mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.