Will I be able to walk the same day as I remove my K-wires?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm having my K-Wires removed in 9 days, after having them in 8 weeks, because of surgery. But I can't find any direct answer as to whether or not I'll be able to walk immediately after the K-Wires are removed, do you guys know? Ask for more details if necessary. smile 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

My guess would have to be “no”. I had metatarsal surgery on 2, 3, & 4 and the pins were removed day of surgery. I have 3 plates and 12 screws internally. My surgery was 4 weeks ago. I’m currently only allowed to put minimal weight on my foot for balance only...NO walking. So I would be very surprised if you are allowed or even able to walk right away. I’ve read that you’ll have to retrain your brain how to walk again. Because after the nerves through your foot are cut and have to rejoin, the connection is lost from the brain to the foot. The rejoining of the nerves is probably the weirdest feeling I’ve experienced. (Sort if like electricity shooting through the foot). Please let me know how you progress! If you’re able to walk right away, I’d love to hear your story further! Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi, thank you for the detailed answer!!! My surgery was for my metatarsalbone on the 4 toe too! I'll keep you updated. smile I was thinking if you could by any chance drop a link to that article you've read? smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.