Will I be able to walk without pain, 6 days from getting a walking boot?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m currently in a removable boot and my next appointment is this friday. I’m expecting to get a walking boot on that day. I’m going on vacation on the 28th of this month and I was wondering if anyone knows if I will be able to walk without pain w the boot but without the crutches? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

What did you do? It completely varies depending on what you had done.
    • Posted

I fractured my ankle on the 21st of April. I was playing soccer and a girl landed on top of me while I was falling. I had surgery the following week!
    • Posted

Bones tend to be stronger 6-8 weeks if you had soft tissue ( ligaments , tendons) tend to take longer before you are comfortable id say 6 days after might be pushing it but listen to what your body is telling you if you have a knee scooter I’d recommend taking it with you. 
  • Posted

Without knowing what you did its hard to say. I walk in aircast boot with no pain 11 weeks post ankle fusion and bone grafting. Been walking for a while. If I want to do any distance then i take a crutch. Managed few miles and up and down stairs and escalators in London no problem. But if I dont use the crutch it is slower and not so kind on my back/hips.
  • Posted

I got my boot last Thursday, wasn't wearing it for a week until I needed it yesterday.

I am 7 weeks post op and m still in a lot of pain, walking or not, have to use my crutches due to balance problems.

No one can predict if you will be ok for your vacation, but use caution, listen to your body, but most important, listen to your doctor.

You may need to postpone your vacation for a month, just depends on what your dr says.

• Posted

Walking in a boot without crutches was the most comfortable and pain free walking  I did up until a few weeks ago. I am now 5 months postop and finally walking like a normal person again. Some days it’s still uncomfortable but not most of the time.

Make sure you get an Even Up for your other foot so you’re not walking off balance.

• Posted

Glad to hear you're walking again! Thanks for the tips.

• Posted

Ry,

You left out some important details-- how many fractures did you sustain (and how serious were they), how long have you been weightless post-op/post-injury, did you suffer a lot of soft tissue trauma (you know--banged up ligaments, tendons, muscles, nerves, etc.), what does your doctor say about it all, and what did your latest x-rays show?

If it were me, I would immediately cancel/postpone that wonderful vacation and wait for a more complete recovery. Why risk doing irreparable harm (even in boot) to a still-healing ankle in exchange for short term pleasure?

I hope you will make the right decision. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.