Will I ever be able to eat fatty foods sometimes

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm 21 had my gallbladder removed a week ago I've never met anyone who's had there's removed I've been eating healthy but I'm wondering if I'll be able to eat at least some fatty foods one day and what will happen when I do .

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I can't, its very painful, like the gallbladder pain. Some people can eat normally after a short while... My dad had his out 30 years ago and eats cream cakes and roast pork without trouble. I've heard its only 10% that have significant problems. Hth

• Posted

Hi Lisa! I'm having my surgery begging of July but my Mom had hers out and she eats everything!!! , my neighbor also is able to eat anything she wants, I know we are all going to react different , my surgeon told me to avoid fat food for the first 30 days , I guess you will see how your body will respond when you eat fatty food and go from there, good Luck to you!

• Posted

Some people can't, but others can.  What happens to you when you do eat fatty foods is generally governed by what's going on in your body.  Each person is different, though.  So, there's really no way to tell before hand.

• Posted

Hi Lisa, I know someone who had his gallbladder removed a few years ago and he can eat some fatty foods as long as he doesn't over do it and it them constantly otherwise he does get in pain, so I believe once in a while is ok but it'll be different for each person. 

As you only had your gallbladder removed a week ago don't rush into it as it'll take a few months for your body to adjust.

Take care

• Posted

hello, i have gb removed,to let you know i can eat anything i want, but as we all know fatty foods are not good for you anyway, ;; let every thing settle down,and see later ,you have only just had surgery,so take it easy,  all best.
  • Posted

Hi, sorry about the GB surgery. The pain from gb attacks are finally over. 

I hope your recovery goes well.

To answer your question will you be able to eat fat again . It's only been a week since your surgery it takes time for the body to adjust. I omitted fatty foods for a few years as well as eating out due to high amount of fats in foods in resturants and pre-packaged foods.

I eat a lot of home cooked foods and yogurt. Important to keep the probiotics balanced in the gut. It really does make a difference. Especially after taking anti- biotics .

Take your time after feeling better and adding foods with fat slowly. See foods online for gallbladder removal for the good, bad, and the ugly foods that cause issues. 

Once you you establish what safe foods are appropriateband those foods that are triggers for you then your home free. 

The good oils and bad oils. Stay with coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil. Animal fats and meats with chemicals called nitrates are also on my restricted foods. Occasionally it ok.neveryone is different .

After time time the foods you love to eat that are fatty , such as icecreame & others can be added slowly until within time you can eat most foods without any issues. 

Hope your on the mend soon . 

• Posted

Hi, healthy fat is essential for your health, brain and hormones and our fat soluble vitamins. Very much needed or we will get sick. Bad fats can always bee avoided and not neccessary, so look at it as a way to clean your diet up smile

I know lots who eat whateve they like after surgery, my mum included.

I was paleo prior so will continue after when I recover.

I personally believe ox bile ( recommended by most in the health fiield with gallbladder issues or post removal as essential after, the amount depends on how your body reacts, it gives the boost to digest fat, replacing the stored amount in the gallbladder, a good digestive enzyme or natural bitters ( or food source) and a good probiotic will help balance everything up.

• Posted

Hi Lisa

This is how I look at it.

The gallbladder stores bile produced by the liver. When you eat something fatty, it empties to help digest the fat.

When you have your gallbladder removed,

the liver still produces a constant supply of bile, but you no longer have the ability to store bile.

So long as you don't consume large amounts of fat in one go, what the liver supplies is enough to digest small amounts of fat. It's just a question of being sensible with how much fat you eat. Digestive restriction has to better than being in pain.

You're only a week out of surgery, feeling low, and probably struggling a bit with food. I know I was. I'd order food, but when it came, I could barely eat anything. This will improve. Just take it slow and steady. I can eat everything, just in smaller quanties than before. It's a small price to pay to be rid of pain and other symptoms.

I know five others who've been through this and none have issues with digestion. Only a small minority do have problems.

I had surgery in March and I've gradually introduced fat to my diet. It's a good idea to gradually increase the amount of fibre in your diet at the same time. Whole grain bread and cereals, skin on baked potatoes and plenty of fruit and vegetables help soak up excess bile and reduce chance of diarrhoea.

Good luck with your recovery. Try to stay positive.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.