Will I ever feel normal again?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Ever since I got depersonalization I've questioned what the rest of my life is gonna be like. I'm not sure what to think about it but it scares me. Does it ever get better? I want to enjoy my life not be scared to leave it...

3 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Were you diagnosed with anxiety?
    • Posted

I have been struggling with anxiety for about a year! Mine started after my son was born! I also have panic attacks which are the worse thing on the planet! Trust me this will pass but most people give in to the temptation of anxiety and do the opposite of what they need to do! I just started a new medication a couple days ago so I'm being hopeful! I am a 22 year old female so I'm really struggling as well! But I sympathize with you.the physical symptoms of anxiety are the worst!!
    • Posted

It's mostly mental for me now.. Thanks for the reply, I'm 16 so its hard on me Lol...
    • Posted

I'm 17 I'm a male If struggled with it for almost a year now don't think negatively try to think positive. My anxiety is slowly getting better just keep your head head up.

• Posted

Hi when did it get better for you because I’m struggling also and it’s been 3 months please tell me there is hope I also started a new medication so I’m hoping that kicks in 
  • Posted

I'm suffering badly since my pregnancy and still now my baby is 8 months. I had VERY bad depersonalision I didn't know myself in the mirror. I now feel like I walk round In fog and I'm just in fear all the time non stop. If my anxiety goes too high it feels like I leave my body and I disconnect badly from my surroundings and I feel I'm loosing reality it's dreadful! !!
    • Posted

Rachel I just to had my son a year ago and post partum depression is what triggered my anxiety! I have dealt with it for a year now! I am now on a new medication! Someone told me the best advice and it was to focus on my child! Children are a blessing and we need to be focused on them instead of our anxiety!! If you need to talk let me know
    • Posted

Hi Rachel, did you ever end up losing the feeling of depersonalization? How long did it take you to lose this feeling if you did? I have it really bad and high anxiety and all I want to do is be normal again and just be my normal self, but I’m afraid I’ll never get there again. 
    • Posted

Do you feel like not yourself like everything around you isn’t real your just stuck in your own head ? 
    • Posted

I feel the same way .. are you taking medication ? I’m on it but it has only been 2 weeks sad I heard it takes about 4 to see a difference... but I also feel like the medication is going to make me feel like I’m not myself and I’ve already completely lost who I used to be and I won’t sver be happy again sad 
  • Posted

Hi Daniel, 

I experienced a very similar situation a couple of years ago (I was 24 at the time). I had always been great, but following a tougher patch and many changes in my life, I started having generalized anxiety and panic attacks with depersonalization. 

I have been wanting to come post this on a forum for a long time because i remember asking myself the exact same questions. Will I ever be normal again? Will this ever end? Do I even know what feeling normal is like anymore? I went online at the time and found some posts from some other people who had gone through it and gotten better and they said that things would work it and to keep pushing ahead. 

I'm here to tell you that yes, you will feel better one day. It will pass. For me, it took about 4 and a half months to subside, or at least in large part. I still had small symptoms here and there for a few months after, but a year later, I felt like myself again, and stronger for it because I had learned so much about myself and how my mind works. 

If I could give you advice I would simply tell you not to lose hope. You have to always know that even though it is extremely hard now, one day, it will end. Be confident in it. Also, I continued working during the ordeal, I worked in a call center at the time and sometimes i had to leave in the middle of calls. I would not talk to colleagues for fear of not being able to have a normal conversation. If I had to do it again, I would take sick leave. It was offered to me, but i turned it down out of pride. I think this is the wrong decision. Take the time off, reduce your stressors, and find small things to do that get your mind off of the anxiety, things that you can be happy to have done. For me exercising helped. 

I hope this helped you, keep your head up, you'll get through it. Let me know if you have any questions. 

• Posted

Hi,

This is exactly how I have been feeling since Christmas. I've had loads of changes recently and all this has come on and I just feel so lost. I had panic attacks for a year on and off that didn't last long and I was my normal very happy go lucky self despite experiencing traumas in my past so it's been so jarring to have this happen when I'm truly the happiest I could have ever hoped to have been. Out of nowhere I had a few days of complete hell with panic and anxiety and feeling like I'd lost myself. I found it horrific the experience of getting to see someone who could actually help me and was put on Valium and sertraline before my GP said I was just experiencing loads of changes and I would be OK. Medically after tests there is nothing wrong with me physically. I don't think I will ever have a panic attack again as I feel I've got them under control, my breathing and etc. I just feel now though so weird and not myself like am I even real, is the world even real. I'm finding it so hard to engage in and be excited about my life. Like you were I'm working full time and I can't let my colleagues know about this. All this has started since I moved three hours away to an area id never been before since I moved. I'd love to be able to take time off and recuperate but it's not possible. I'm trying my hardest to deal with this but I'm so scared I won't ever feel secure in my own head again.

• Posted

Hi how are you doing Riverain96? I have been feeling horrible. I am always anxious and on edge and I cannot sleep. 
    • Posted

Hi did you ever get back to feeling like yourself again im experiencing the same

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.