Will I ever feel normal again?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I am a 23 year old female and have had an under active thyroid for 2 years now. I was always fit, heathy and had no problems.

Recently it seems like I live at the doctors! Could it be side effects from the levothyroxine or does your body just never get used to the correct dosage!

Just feel stuck at the moment that this is always going to have such a big impact on my life.

I either take too little dose and become so low and extremely tired or too much and I now have pains all around my heart! Going to book and appointment with the endocrinologist to see what he can do.

Feeling down and fed up with having this! Also reading lots of other posts about infertility and that's playing on my mind as there's nothing else I want more than to be a mum!

Any comments would be appreciated,

Please tell me it gets better! X

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Good that you're seeing the endo.  If he/she hasn't already requested it, make sure you get a full range of blood tests. Many people think that the TSH test alone, which is all some docs look at, doesn't tell the whole story.

I was diagnosed at a young age, took levo and levo and was symptom free for a lot of years. So there is hope!

Good luck.

Dave in Canada

• Posted

The only thing to do is to try to get these tests done privately. 
  • Posted

Hi 

Just wanted to let you know that it definitely does get better I have an under active thyroid too and take levothyroxine. Once the dosage is right you should feel back to normal it takes time. I have had two children since taking levothyroxine they just increased the dosage once I was pregnant and then monitored it throughout the pregnancy. 

Honestly it doesn't have any impact on my life apart from the fact I have to take a tablet everyday. I live a very active life and suffer from no symptoms.

• Posted

That's nice to know, thank you for your message it's very reassuring! I'm sure I will get there, thanks again X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.