Will I feel better after having a phlebotomy/venesection?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I found out I have HH about 2 months ago and my ferritin levels are between 270 - 370 (I've had about 4 blood tests and my levels fluctuate), I haven't had blood taken yet and am wondering if by doing so I will start to feel better and my symptoms will go away? I would love to hear what other people feel like once their levels have reached the normal range.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi Selina,

My experience is all I can draw on, my numbers were higher than yours so it could be different but. The first couple probably made me feel worse because I wasn't prepared. Before the Venesection, you need to take on board a couple of pints of water, wrap up in layers and have a fast short walk to the ward. This makes your blood flow quicker and stops the weakness / tiredness so your body recovers better. Had I known this I would have felt better sooner. But it does take number changes/ drops...  to begin to impact on everyday symptoms. Old iron stored in organs and tissue needs to be eradicated and the body needs to build up the vitimins and minerals it lost during the process of the Venesection. Four months since my first and I felt like someone had topped up my batteries, this time is more about what your numbers are than how many Venesections. I hope this helps you and good luck us ole rusties need to share our experiences and help each othet.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.