Will I feel irregular heart rate in an afib when taking metoprolol?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 36 male. 5"8' tall and 164 lbs. I used to drink lots of beer, probably 2-3 cans per night, sometimes 5-6 per night for almost two years, because of my very stress work, I can't sleep at nigh. So I started to rely on drinking alcohol to help me fall asleep.

Long story short. One day when I was at work, I felt numbness on both my hands and legs, and felt hard to breathe and dizziness, and my heart was racing at 160+. I was sent to ER and the follow up test showed my blood was 'thick' which means hemoglobin was higher than normal. The doctor said I may have cancer or just dehydrated, and he asked me to follow up with cardiologist for racing heart rate. I was scared by the word 'cancer', but not concerned too much about my heart because I though that was because I drank four cups of black coffee that day. 

The cardiologist appointment was one and a half month later, which was a long wait for me. During the wait, I had the same symptoms again when I was driving home on a stuck freeway, and again I called 911 and was sent to ER. This time, a cardiologist came to see me and let me did treadmill test and cardio echo, as well as monitoring my heart rate over night. All results returned normal and I was discharged home.

I was told it was anxiety attach, not heart attack. But since then, I started getting very nervous about any abnormal of my heart. I went to ER 11 times in a month for all different kinds of chest pain. Each time in ER, they drew my blood, do x-ray and EKG, each time I was told my heart was fine. 

All doctors pointing the symptoms to anxiety, which I finally admitted that I might have anxiety issue. 

Well, then in 8/26, I woke up at 2:30 AM with chest discomfort. This time I sensed my heart was beating like a mess without a regular pattern. I was so afraid and called 911 immediately. The paramedic came and did EKG on me, and right on the spot they told me I was having afib. I was admitted to ER again for something 'real'. 

They gave me two dose of IV to lower my heart rate and one dose to treat my anxiety. The afib lasted for about 8.5 hours before it converted back to normal sinus heart rate. Another cardiologist came to see me and did cardio echo, and said my heart was fine. Then he sent me home with metoprolol and aspirin. Asked me to take one of each every day. 

I felt so tired through out the day when taking metoprolol and my heart was beating at about 50 at night time when I lay down in bed. I don't want to let medicine to control my heart, but I'm so afraid the afib comes back. 

Any way, I'm too stress and don't know what I'm typing. My actual question is, when using metoprolol to control my heart rate, if the afib happens again, will I still feel the mess/irregular heart rate? Or would I still feel the regular heart rate even an afib is going on? Any clue?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi - so sorry to hear that you are going through such a bad time.  I know how frightening it is to have an AF attack as I have suffered with them for 18 years.  I don't know the answer to your question as I do not take Metoprolol, but if your heart beats in an irregular pattern, then it is AF. If you do get another attack, then try to stay calm, getting panicky about it will only make it worse.  Take heart in the fact that many people suffer from it and that in the majority of cases, if you stay calm, it will revert by itself.  Go and see your doctor or cardiologist and get some answers to put your mind at rest.

It might help to try yoga or meditation - there are free classes online.  Best of luck

• Posted

Hello,

I have been diagnosed with incessant afib, and yes, you will still experience irregular beats with a beta blocker but the overall rate will be decreased. A rate of 50bpm is nothing to concern yourself with when resting overnight. 

Reading your post, it does seem as though it may be helpful to obtain some support for your anxiety. Alcohol use is a trigger for afib even in small doses, as are high calorie meals and tobacco.

I think the most important thing is to continue to engage in exercise, work and play. Afib is incredibly common.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.