Will I gain weight from 3.75mg Mirtazapine?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have a sleep anxiety issue, and I have been taking mirtazapine for 6 months which has worked great. I started on 15mg, then after 4 months I'd noticed I'd gained a lot of weight (normally on the very slim side so was a shock!) 2 stone to be precise. So I cut down to 7.5mg with no issues re sleep. However I was not losing any weight despite trying via food and exercise. My concern was the health effect as well as the physical effect as it increases triglycerides etc.

So I cut down to 3.75mg (quatree of a tablet) and then managed to come off completely for the last 2 weeks.

However my sleep anxiety has returned. I'm very frustrated as thought I could shift some of this weight. Can anyone of you be completely honest with me and tell me if you think 3.75mg can cause weight gain/reduce ability to lose weight? I'm hoping to take every other night when I get back into a good sleep routine.

Thank you

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I started on mertz 15mgs for a month. I then went up to 30mg, I put weight on, but not 2 stone. I am tapering off them and am down to 7.5mg, my appetite is back to normal now.
    • Posted

Thank you - have you lost any weight being on 7.5mg?

Anyone else know if weight can be gained on 3.75mg?

• Posted

I dont know as I dont weigh myself, but am quite happy at what I look like. Also, when I first started fluoxetine meds i lost about a stone, but then when i started mertz i gained about a stone.
  • Posted

Hi

I would say you will still find it hard to lose the weight you already have gained - even if you reduce your dose and you may continue to gain more.

It effects your metabolism and it becomes almost impossible to lose the weight either by careful diet or exercise.

I was on Mirtazapine for three months at 15mg and put on a stone. My belly have gotten fat and you could not see the definition of my abs anymore.

Went to my doctor and asked to try Venlefaxine. However, this does not help with sleep as far as I can tell.

Have you tried taking magnesium and b6 together before bed? This is supposed to help you doze off?

• Posted

Thank you Maz, yes that's exactly where I've gained most of the weight - stomach - it's something I've never had and it's a lot of fat. Very frustrating. Have you lost the weight now? If so how long did it take?

I was considering seeing my Dr to discuss Trazadone?

• Posted

No fat loss so far but it's only been a few days since I switched. I am confident it will come off.

I used to take olanzapine and it had the same effect then after a few weeks of stopping the weight gradually started coming off.

• Posted

I was on 30mg then tapered it to 15mg for a month and have been on 7.5mg for the last 5 weeks and I havent lost any weight if anything gained a couple of more pounds.  I was originally about 8 stone 3 and now 9 stone 12 so not happy about that.  I doubt I could chop the 7.5mg in half not from 30mg so will see if I can get 15mg that will be easier to cut.  I dont sleep very well either but the 30mg and 15mg were making me feel unwell and generally depressed!
  • Posted

Ok thank you all, I think I'm going to try 3.75mg for a few nights then start taking 5htp from holland and barrett - so a natural source. I've just had a read about Trazadone and I think ill just be battling with those side effects if I switch so I feel it's best to stick to a very low dose of Mirtazapine - what I know works - but try to keep it brief with a switch to 5htp.

• Posted

One last thing. Taking a lower dose of Mirtazapine usually makes you more sleepy. Just thought I'd mention it and maybe you could also gain more weight from a lower dose.

• Posted

That's interesting as I feel slightly sleepy about half an hour after popping the 7.5mg but still have trouble getting to sleep.

• Posted

Yes I definitely know the lower the dose the more sleepy you are - and after not having taken Mirtazapine for 2 weeks or so, and taking 7.5mg last night at 1am as wide awake..well today I feel so groggy BUT that only lasts a day IF I were to continue.

It's so hard to know what the right thing to do is! I just went to buy some 5htp and felt so groggy in town..and my tummy was wobbling away!! (I know it hasnt grown overnight!) But feeling so groggy messes with your rationality and ability to make decisions!

• Posted

I agree sleep at the right time is so important. A friend told me it's really important to be sleeping between 11PM and 3AM as that's when when body regenerates.

Also I would say l-tryptophan will give you better results that htp 5 as a sleep aid.

• Posted

Your friend is right, I also heard that the more sleep you get before midnight the better.  I am a terrible one for going to bed and usually end up by about midnight and then takes me about half an hour to actually go to sleep and then awake at 3.30 or 4.00 needing to spend a penny!  Problem is that going to bed too early one wakes up too early.  Damned if you do, damned if you dont!
    • Posted

You are definitely right...with lower doses anti H1 effect is more prominent I think...
  • Posted

Hi, I’m just wondering how u were getting on! Are U still on mirtazpine? Did u gain any more weight when taking 3.75? Thanks Alison 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.