Will I get sectioned if I'm diagnosed with depression?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm 17 and I'm currently in therapy for anxiety. I've suspected for a long time that I'm suffering from depression, but I'm so scared to go to the doctors because I don't want to be sectioned. I'm not having suicidal thoughts. Will they section me?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

They wont section you unless they feel you are a great risk to yourself or others.

Have you got any support at home?

I think going to the doctors will be your first step to recovery, try not to

Worry, they are there to help xxx

• Posted

Hello MsHatter

People all over the UK are suffering from depression so can you imagine how many people would have tobe sectioned? And where would they all go?

Have you talked to your parents, a friend, your teacher, there is lots of help around.

There was a programme on the radio today about young people and depression, so you are not alone. It is recognised that young people are suffering in silence because they do not know about he help that is available.

Please go to your doctor or if you are still scared, and there is absolutely no reason to be, then contact NHS IAPT (Initials, India, Alpha, Papa, Tango) and you can talk to a counsellor who will get the best help for you. This is a self referral unit, please go and get the help you need.

• Posted

Hi, thanks for replying.

I have support from my dad and sister, my mother however likes to use it against me.

The main reason for my worrying, is that i was at the doctors once and they saw marks on my stomach, they questioned if i self harmed and i said no, but its down on my records with a question mark for possible self harm. Does that mean they'd think I'm a risk to myself?

Sorry for the rambling, I'm scared. Xx

• Posted

Please don't be scared, the doctor was only marking down things he saw for future reference to try and help you. You definitely need help, please put your trust in your doctor and tell them that your father and sister support you. they will not section you but will help you to get better. People who are sectioned are long term threats to themselves.

Your doctor is your best friend in this and will put you on the right path to better health.

Why not take your sister with you to see him?

• Posted

Hi MsHatter, you don't need to worry about being sectioned.

I understand that you are very scared about going to see your doctor, so I want to tell you my experience to take away your worries so you can go to tell your doctor how you are feeling and get the help that you need.

My depression and anxiety started last year in October and I had never suffered from it before so it was very scary. I got to a point where I had to tell someone how I was feeling and told a close friend, she came with me that afternoon.

I was scared about telling the doctor how I was feeling for exactly the same reason as you, I thought I would be sectioned. I knew in the appointment I would struggle to tell the doctor how I was feeling so my friend helped me to write it all in bullet points for the doctor to read. I told the doctor.....I had been feeling so desperately low, had been having thoughts of suicide, thoughts about how I might end my life, I had been harming myself and although I did not think I would act on my thoughts of suicide I was scared and it was difficult to think about anything else. I said how I had hidden all this as I was afraid I would be sectioned. I was not sectioned but referred for counselling with a community mental health team.

Please make an appointment to go to see your doctor, prepare yourself for it and you could take someone with you like a friend or your sister. You can write everything on a piece of paper for your doctor to read if it makes it easier for you, it helped me alot because I was scared of saying the words I would have to say. My doctor said it was very helpful of me to have written it all down for him. I had already been prescribed an antidepressant, but your doctor may suggest that you will benefit for an antidepressant or refer you for counselling.

You won't be sectioned but your doctor will help you. I hope I have helped to reduce your fears, please try not to worry smile.

• Posted

Thank you all for your advice, it calmed me and I went to the doctors. I've been referred to a counsellor and have been given time to consider antidepressants.

I feel so much better now that i'm getting help.

Again, thank you all x

• Posted

Great to hear your visit to the doctors went well, good that you've taken this first step towards getting better, wish you well smile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.