Will I get sectioned??? - Please help

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

I am a 41 year old male who has finally gone to the Dr this week for help with Depression and Anxiety. GP has presribed 10mg of Citalopram which I have to increase to 20mg next week.

I am on day four of the drug and feeling like I am getting over some of the side effects like nausea and headache but I feel more depressed than I did when I started taking them!

Last night after taking a sleeping pil (3.75mg Zopiclone) at 9.30 I slept for about 3 hours then awake for the rest of the night. In that time I did think about the horrible subject of suicide and other dark thoughts, but only in the sense of frustration that I am putting my family (wife and two C) through so much pain at the moment.

My question though is this....if I mention the above to my GP and mention that I have had general thoughts of suicide - is he likely to section me? I've seen a friend who got sectioned to a hospital and it was shocking. I couldn't handle that.

Thoughts please in desperation!

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling like this. It's a horrible feeling and unfortunately nothing anyone says will make you feel better at the moment, however there are plenty of people who can relate to how you're feeling.

I've felt exactly the same in the past, I have always been so worried about being sectioned due to the kind of thoughts I have about suicide and sometimes I just think generally I am crazy and can't explain how I feel to anyone, but even after telling doctors loads of times that I am suicidal I have never been sectioned and the suggestion has never been put to me. From my experience, unless you say that you have made specific plans then they don't genuinely worry too much, unfortunately. Even when I attempted suicide about a month ago, I had an assessment at the hospital and they let me go home. They only suggested that they had somewhere I could stay if I felt I needed to but they were happy that I could go home with my boyfriend as he could keep an eye on me.

You really need to be honest with your doctor about how you're feeling. If you've never had suicidal thoughts before then it may be due to the tablets. I have had the same thing recently, I hadn't been suicidal for about 2 years, although had still been suffering from depression, and as soon as I changed medication I started having really bad suicidal thoughts but luckily they passed as I think the medication got into my system and my body got used to it.

It does sound crazy that anti depressants can make you feel worse to start with, but it should only be temporary, otherwise they will change your tablets. From my personal experience of being on anti depressants for many years i'd suggest sticking with them for a little longer, but still make sure you tell your doctor about how you feel. Unless you're a real danger to either yourself or anyone else then you don't need to worry about being sectioned.

I am not a medical professional and the above is just based on my own personal experiences over the past 13 years.

I hope you start to feel differently soon

Becca

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply Becca. Your words have really helped. I reall hope that when I start to feel better that I can help others on this forum too.

Thanks again.

• Posted

Hi, you may have already seen a doctor about this but i wanted to share my experience to help you if you haven't yet, and anyone else with the same problem. I know how frightening it can be to have these thoughts and feel as though you cannot tell anyone.

In November I was prescribed Citalopram like yourself for depression and anxiety, and also referred for counselling (expecting first assessment end of jan). Beginning of december I had begun having thoughts of harming myself and ending my life. I have anxiety about going to the doctors anyway, and had strong worries and fears about what would happen if i told the doctors about these thoughts I had been having. I became quite desperate to tell someone about it and confided in a close friend, she convinced me that I needed to talk to a doctor right away and came with me that afternoon.

I knew that I would struggle in my appointment to tell the doctor how I felt so my friend helped me to write down everything on a piece of paper for the doctor to read. We told the doctor I had been having thoughts of harming myself, thoughts of suicide, thoughts about how I might end my life, how I had been frightened that I will be sectioned if admit it and that I felt so desperately low. I also said that I didn't feel as though I would actually act on my thouhts but that it was frightening and difficult to think about anything else.

I was not sectioned smile. The doctor said he would refer me to someone from the Community Mental Health Team (CMHT), I have an appointment with a mental health nurse soon and have been told that it is like counselling, because he suggested I need further help than just taking the citalopram.

As I understand being sectioned is a last resort if you are in serious danger of harming yourself or have attempted it already. They understand that being sectioned can be a traumatic experience so the CMHT help you within the community to avoid the need to be sectioned.

It felt like such a relief that I had told the doctor about how i felt so that something could be done, and was so pleased that i would have someone to talk to about this who would be able to help me.

I hope that you have been able to talk to a doctor, but please do if you haven't it will be such a relief when they can help you smile.

• Posted

Dear david,

i genuinely wish to help you, and i hope what i say will not sound outlandish or strange, i say it because i so strongly believe in it that it surpasses my fear of online scrutiny from others.

i read through many forums on depression, and i enjoy seeing the changes people while i try to help as much as possible. let me give it to you in straightforward terms.

Humans have been roaming the earth for thousands of millennia, roughly 6 thousand thousand years since divergence from primate-like ancient ancestors. for the duration of that enormous amount of time, humans became extremely adept at survival. one of the main modes of transportation and survival that we used to obtain food and achieve safety was through long distance travel. we did not have claws nor powerful jaws, nor were we quick. but we were able to lope about at a brisk pace for prolonged periods of time. we have such a vast amount of adaptations reflecting this theory that it would be rather foolish to not accept it. we sweat, lost our body hair (to more efficiently cool ourselves through sweating), move about bi-pedally, and so much more, so that we could efficiently and effectively hunt four legged animals that after several hours of galloping, could not cool down, and would overheat and die. we had no tools nor weapons, only our hands and teeth, and not until around 1.8 MYA were even the first stone tools aka rocks, used to kill anything, the bow was not invented until 40,000 years ago. humans ran, and they ran, and they ran, and they ran some more.

Fast forward to modern day, where we sit in offices all day and at most get a few hours of exercise a week, can you see where im heading with this? the clear picture is this: humans are good at some things, and designed for them, and when you depart from that which we have evolved to do for millions of years, you get problems. there are so many details and things you may not understand from what i present, but understand this: You need to exercise, and by exercise, i mean run. and you need to run correctly, the way our human ancestors did it, with little to no shoes whatsoever. if you do this, i can guarantee you that your depression will go away. your brain releases a marvelous concoction of chemicals that are an adaptive trait humans evolved to help them cope with the long and painful bouts of exercise. you may have heard of them, they are called endorphins. they are chemically identical with opiates, IE: heroin, morphine, euphoria-inducing drugs. the drugs mentioned above are found in nature from the poppy plant, but are naturally produced in your brain to alleive depression, pain, hunger, anxiety, sadness, and have such a profound impact on the psyche that you may wonder why you've never tried this before! the "runners high", is what you get, the bath of well-being inducing chemicals that bathe your brain every time you exercise for prolonged periods of time(an hour or so at least). people who run regularly and eat normal food (food that humans were eating for the last several million years) are much happier and healthier and upbeat and NEVER, NEVER have i met a person who runs long distance regularly and adheres to this lifestyle who has depression. it just doesnt happen, because they stick to what they are designed to do. you dont buy a car and let it sit in your garage so that you can play with its lights, or open its doors, or inflate and deflate its tires, you buy it so that you can drive it.

david, i want you to go and buy a pair of minimalist shoes, that allow your foot to function the way its evolved to function, not thick heeled shoes that cause injuries. your feet are not born weak or broken, they are an evolutionary marvel that da vinci himself wondered at in awe. large shoe companies make lots of money on the false idea that your foot is broken and you need man made devices that have been invented barely 30 years ago for them to work correctly.

i want you to go out and jog an easy mile. then wait a few days. when youre not sore, go jog another, then after a week go jog a mile and a half. EASE INTO IT! your feet are weak and soft from wearing shoes your whole life.it will take several months. before long, you will be running like homo erectus, and loving life.

do it for yourself, do it for your life.

-will

• Posted

Will,

What a fantastic and informative comment!

I too believe in thinking back to how our ancient ancestors would have dealt with these issues and then I think to myself that those issues probably never existed due to their way of life. I do believe modern technology has made us a lazy nation and causes depression as we rely on technology to think for us.

I am guilty of this myself.

I am currently suffering from depression and I have had tinnitus for 2 weeks now, I was thinking to myself 'what would a caveman of heard inside his head if he was suffering from tinnitus?' Because tinnitus noises are manmade sounds which we hear inside our heads such as a telephone ringing, alarm bell or high pitched tones.

It really makes you think about how nature works and how it is SUPPOSED to be.

Ruby

• Posted

Hi New on here today think I'm on a downward dip in the depression roller coaster. Are any of you guys tapering medication?
    • Posted

Stay strong and never let depression get you down because in the long run only you can care about you, I found no one cares about me, so if you let depression win then society wins too
  • Posted

Feel like I've hit a brick wall again can feel the bad seeping threw my skin sick of this
    • Posted

I know this feeling well, it will get better, take 1 day at a time, bitesize chunks. Good luck
  • Posted

Dread is a horrible place sorry if I sound away but hopefully one of you guys understands that place
  • Posted

I was being abused by some people, and was severely depressed. However my Doctors did not care and they just left me to get on with my depression and offered no support at all. I deregistered myself and now have no GP but I never felt they truly cared and I feel they do not care if I took my life or not. So you may not be sectioned, unless they care about you but with me, I think I was not worth bothering about
    • Posted

Öh bless u truefriend. U must have seen some rotten drs/care team to have treated u that way...

Hope things are a little better for you now xxx

• Posted

Hi david not necessarily. Ive been in psych wards 3 times & a residential therapeutic comm over 14 yrs. I was suicidal in each case & the dr sent me to the hospital where the crisis team speak to u if in the uk. Unsure where u live if the same elsewhere.??. Each tym for my own safety they advised i stay in hospital. I have never been sectioned. It tends to be in ppl with bipolar and schitzoprenia etc who aren't aware they are ill. Or if u are completely intent on suicide and refused to stay they possibly would for yr own safety for at least 72 hours. Ive been really bad and sometyms sent home with visits from the community mental health or crisis team when no beds available or they feel u can cope @ home xxx sorry ur feeling so bad xx

• Posted

Just realised yr post was from a while ago. Hope yr much better xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.