Will I have to go on insulin?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am Type 2 diabetic and I am on metformin. The last few weeks, my sugar levels have gone very high. My fasting levels are now the same as my levels AFTER eating and after a meal tonight, my levels showed 15.65. I am 61, does these mean I will have to go onto insulin or a higher dosage of metformin?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Anne, it depends how much metformin you are on, how it affects you if the Dr does increase it etc. But I would think that you will be put onto some thing like Gliclazide. 
  • Posted

A great deal depends upon the result of your most recent HBA1c (haemoglobin) test.

In any event there are many choices of medication available in the diabetic tool chest without the need to involve injections, not the least of which (as Val says) is Gliclazide.

If the thought of possibly having to inject yourself is concerning you, then I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

On the other hand, once all the alternative options have been exhausted, then try to think in terms of all the very young people who have to take injections for T1 Diabetes for all of their lives, and maybe that would help to put things into perspective for you?

• Posted

It's not the thought of injecting myself that bothers me. If that's what I have to do then I accept it. I was just worried about my readings suddenly being so high. My diet hasn't changed and I was a little concerned. Many thanks for your replies, it's great to know people take the time to help. I am very grateful.
  • Posted

These products can help and you become sugar diabetic free balsam tea it reduces sugar levels and relives the complications of diabetic,,,it helps to increase response of human body cells to insulin and Glucoblock also lowers sugar level and improves pancreas function 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.