Will I lose weight easier if I go off HRT

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've been on HRT for 16 years and am struggling with my weight. Will I be able to lose easier if I get off the estrogen patch?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, do you still need HRT? If you do then perhaps you could change your HRT. I know that I need to take it for my symptoms so the only way I've been able to get the weight down is to cut out sugar, bread, pasta. It wasn't easy in the beginning but I've kept on and have lost the majority of the weight quite quickly. I'm not down to premenopausal weight but I'm feeling a lot better than I was x

• Posted

Your post is interesting.  There are many women who say that they gain weight while on estrogen, and those "experts" that offer you should increase your estrogen if weight gain is the problem.  

I find it interesting that you said you've been on HRT for 16 years.  Was weight gain always a problem during all these years?  What's changed?  Type, dosage or HRT?  Age?  What caused you to go on HRT in the first place? Women might be able to offer their experience with some more information about your specific situation.

• Posted

I had a hysterectomy in 2001. My weight has always been a problem, but it seems to be coming off harder now and I just wondered if going off HRT would help. Although after reading the horror stories here, I'm thinking it's better to stay on it and just work harder at the weight loss.

• Posted

Well I put on weight with the patches so I stopped taking them I went to s world and lost weight ivery till got a bit to lose but I'm determined to do it I still get symptoms but don't want to go on any hrt as I don't want to put it back on

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.