Will I need surgery on meniscus tear?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had an MRI done on my right knee last week and it found a parrot beak tear on my lateral meniscus with a flap flipped into the posterior medial compartment along with a small to moderate bakers cyst. I’d rather just get the surgery done because I start school in August and will not have time for physical therapy. The knee gives me pretty constant problems. Popping, pain, swelling, the feeling it needs to pop, etc...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It is my understanding that some tears may heal on their own. Not sure if your type is one of them. That is a question for your ortho to answer as well as whether or not he recommends arthroscopic surgery to repair it . Also I would think the longer you go without repair the more likely it could tear more depending on your activity level.

I had a tear not as "complex" as yours and opted for surgery due to increasing pain and swelling.

• Posted

"Git 'er done!" - Larry, The Cable Guy

Back in my 50's I had four knee scopes, two each side for a meniscus tear and a ripped femoral condyle cartilage.  Each time, I had the same-day op done on a Friday, iced and elevated over the weekend and went back to a desk job on Monday with an AirCast bucket and knee sleeve icing the knee.  Did that for most of the week.  Iced and elevated at night.  Fine in about 7-10 days each time.  Zero rehab.  Wish you the same luck.

• Posted

Based on your tear type and the fact that it is flipped and can lock up your joint, you def should have surgery. Doubtful that it’s in the red “healing” zone bc it sounds complex.

Don’t waste ur time in therapy until after your surgery is done.

Good luck ! Know ur surgeons skills regardless smile

• Posted

Hopefully this can be repaired....try your utmost to make sure your surgeon doesnt take out the meniscus as this will no doubt cause you many problems later in life, which many of us on this forum have experienced... having said that mine was removed in 1986 and I did fairly well (although not very sporty) until last year when I needed a TKR....but technology has changed a lot these days....so check with ortho thoroughly the 'if's and buts' before you proceed.....

You should repair nicely by August if you get it done fairly pronto....I wish you good luck with it and let us know how you get on! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.