Will it ever end?

Posted , 77 users are following.

sad rolleyes

I am 37 years old and about four and a half weeks ago I began experiencing serious dizziness. I knew that this was not normal by any means yet I was not falling over or vomiting. I figured that it was just from me being stressed out or something. A day or two later I realized that it was not going away. The dizziness began increasing especially after a cigarette and a cup of coffee lol. My blood pressure is normal and to my knowledge I do not have any serious illnesses. Yeah yeah I know that its not good for me. However, every time that I would look left and right my head began to spin and ultimately I would have to retire to my couch for the whole day. Luckily I was on vacation during the worse of this. I went to the regular doctors office and was told that I may have a sinus infection yet I showed absolutely no signs of one what so ever. The doc prescribed me Prednisone and told me that if there was any fluid in my sinuses that it will clear them up. That stuff is straight nasty and it caused rapid heartbeat and sleep deprivation for me personally. Yuk! I took the stuff and let it run its course yet it did nothing for me. I went back and saw a different doc and was diagnosed with vertigo. She told me that I probably had a middle ear infection, prescribed me some meclizine and a nasal spray, then sent me on my way. Funny thing about all of this is I have 0 ear pain, no sinus issue that I am aware of, and no wax issue. I took the meclizine and it would make me drowsy but it did seem to work a little. The nasal spray just caused anxiety for me so I stopped taking both. The docs gave me a referral to an ENT. Before I visited the ENT, I decided to go see an eye doctor. I wanted to do this as a process of elimination. I started noticing at work behind the computer or when I was reading books, cell phone, or whatever that I was getting dizzy so this is something that was brought up to the eye doc. Long story short I was sent away by the eye doctor and was told that I have perfect vision. My next step was the ENT. I showed up to the ENT about two and a half weeks after it started and that morning I was feeling better. The ENT tested me for possible vertigo and my symptoms were gone. She said that she thinks I have Labyrinthitis. However she did give me a referral to take an MRI and have bloodwork done. She never mentioned whether I should continue with the meds or not. I just finished the MRI and bloodwork and currently awaiting the results. I am on week four and a half right now. I tried olive oil and peroxcide in my ears and exercises but to no avail. I will say though that most of the vertigo from where I look left and right has left yet I am dizzy. I will sit in certain positions or lie down in certain positions and I get dizzy. when I make a turn in my car or come to a sudden stop I get dizzy. When I read or look at my cell phone for more then 20 seconds I get dizzy. I wake up and get out of bed I am dizzy. The worse of this occurs between 8am til about 2:30-3:00 pm everyday almost. The nights seem to provide much relief. this is really cramping my social life along with my job. My questions to everyone are as follows: Has this happened to any of you out there? If so what did you do? Although I am awaiting test results, if they come back negative for everything then what would be my next step and what is causing this excess dizziness? Help anyone!!!!!!!

4 likes, 140 replies

140 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hey Magnets. I just made a post and am experiencing the SAME thing as you are. My eyes often feel like they're playing catch up too!! It is so weird. How are you feeling now?
  • Posted

Hey Meg,

I have good days and bad days. Exercise and cutting back on caffeine, nicotine, and even chocolate seems to help. Sucks because I enjoy those 3 things the most lol. I try not to think about it as much. I know easier said then done. Thinking about it constantly brings on anxiety and believe me I know all about that. Lying down at a certain angle watching tv or whatever seems to help it a bit. It was really bad at first but I believe that I have learned to adjust to it much better now. Very frightening at first. I am here if u want to chat more about this

• Posted

Hey Magnets. I would love to talk more about this. Can I message you my email address? It's easier for me than typing on the forum from my phone.
  • Posted

Meg,

Go ahead and send it

• Posted

Hi, I am experiencing very similar symptoms. When you said your eyes play catch up sometimes I have been trying to find a way to describe that. I see this forum ended 5 months ago so I hope you still check but I was hoping to know if you found out what was wrong with you? I'm working in Japan right now and am scheduled for an MRI and EEG (brain waves). My dizziness and eyes catching up and chronic fatigue has also been followed by twitches lately.

Hopefully we can talk about it. You can message me for my e-mail or we can talk here. Thank you!

• Posted

Donny,  I was diagnosed with labyrinthitus. It lasted for about 7 to 8 months. I still have a bad day every once in a while but far less frequent. I has an MRI, hearing test, neurologist visit, 2 doc visits, 2 ENT visits, blood work and so on. It was narrowed down to labs. It sucks hard core for a while but gets easier. You must go out and do things. Your brain needs to compensate. Look into VRT exercises. They helped me out a lot. Make u feel sick sometimes but they worked for me
    • Posted

Thanks a lot. I'm really glad you are feeling better. I have chronic fatigue and a bunch of other weird stuff going on so i'm not sure if it's labyrinthitus but it's possible I guess.
    • Posted

Hey magnets, I see that your last post was about two weeks ago I hope you're still here. I seem to have had the same symptoms as you for a little over 3 months now. I'm really having a hard time and I'm trying to figure out what this is. I get dizzy anytime I look from one side to the other or if I tilt my head at all really. I'm still able to function but its taxing. Does this sound similar to how you felt? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you so much.
  • Posted

Magnets- just sent it.
    • Posted

hi megb, I wrote a message above to the person you were talking to about both of your symptoms. I have had the same symptoms as both of you. I was hoping to trade information with you guys about anything we have found out. If your interested please reply or message me. Thank you.
  • Posted

I've read a lot that says laying your head at the right angle can really help with relieve vertigo. In fact a friend once recommend a vertigo pillow to me that helped them. It was by simbalance. Their website recommends trying to lay at a 10-15 degree angle.
  • Posted

hey magnets,

i am a 46 y/o male in excellent health. i have had pretty much identical symptoms since mid january. been tested for everything under the sun, no negative findings. only thing was mild disc protrusion at c5,c6. no dsiruption of csf fluid or anything else. so docs are diagnosing it as cervicogenic dizziness (a dx by exclusion ). just curious,have you found an answer yet? let me know..thanks

• Posted

No answer yet but heading to take a balance test and some other stuff Friday. Will let u know any findings.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.