Will it ever stop?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi,  re to the forums as I’m in desperate need of some support. I’ve been battling vertigo, ear fullness, hearing loss and tinnitus for over 4 years now. I’ve never officially been diagnosed with Ménière’s but have been taking betahistine for some time now. I had respite of about a year until about 6 months ago whereby the attacks (mainly in the night or morning) are now coming thick and fast. I constantly feel nauseous and dizzy really. Never seems to let up. I find myself wishing for the permanent hearing loss and the vertigo to go which is madness. But I need something to get better. Does it ever happen?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Oh dear so sorry that it's come back. I have had M now for 13 months. My attacks are becoming less severe but hearing loss has diminished incredibly. I'm waiting for stage 3 of the Desease which tappers off the severity and episodes of M. Can't understand why it's come back so severe after a long break. Perhaps check things in your diet, stress levels etc. have you been doing anything different. Best of luck. We all know what you are going through believe me. 

• Posted

Thanks for caring, I have today come out in a real heavy cold. Wondering if that’s had a part to play. I’ve recently really changed my diet. No salt, caffeine and very little sugar. MD is one of those conditions that we will never really understand I think 🤔 x

• Posted

Deemogs...you poor thing know how Ur feeling. This attack will pass. Stay strong and get your gp to refer to an ENT consultant to get meniere's confirmed. If in uk the Meniere's Society offer great support and information. All the best

• Posted

Thank you. I’ve been under ENT for 4 years but had to change hospitals and the whole process started again. Confirming salt intake, eye exercises, hearing tests. Am indeed in the UK. Never had anything more than a chat and a hearing test where they have told me considerable hearing loss... go away and see how it is in 6 months. 4 years later I am still waiting. 
  • Posted

Sorry your having such a bad time.  Before I was diagnosed I would have severe vertigo especially in the morning.   Have they done any testing, like a MRI, CT to rule other things out that cause MD?   I would get a referral to a neurotologistswho specializes in inner ear disorders.   They will do a hearing test because this disease damages your hearing.  They will also put you through balance testing and a caloric test.  In the meanwhile you need to limit salt to 1500mg a day.  Salt is our enemy.  But the most important thing is to get the right diagnosis. Hope this helps.  
    • Posted

Thank you, I have had a hearing test, told considerable loss, go away and limit salt, do these eye exercises, take the betahistine. As I say it was OK for a while and then flared up. Think just having bad time because of cold. I am hoping that it disappears again and I finally get some

Answers from ENT! 🤞

• Posted

So sorry for you! It's horrible to feel this way. I took a leave from work and went to Cleveland clinic in Ohio and there is a ENT there that specializes in vestibular disorders. He gave me a series of steroid shots into my cochlea and I have been in remission for 9 years!!! I have small episodes here and there but not even close to the debilitating vertigo as before. If you want his name I think he is still there. Let me know. He saved my life from this!

• Posted

Thank you, oh I wish. In the UK so quite a ping way to come 😱😉 my husband and I are discussing going private so can get some answers. 

• Posted

Yes that is too far to come. That is the only thing that helped me. Why couldn't your ENT email mine and discuss this injection?? Just a thought

• Posted

Hello Sbart. I would like the name of the Ohio ENT for vestibular disorders. I need someone to save my life from this disease!
  • Posted

Get your diagnosis nailed down as others have already said. If you can, increase your dose of betahistine to twice what you are currently taking and if necessary go to a higher dose still to get full relief from nausea and vertigo. Remember betahistine takes a month to become fully effective against Meniere's and you need to stay on the highest effective therapeutic dose for 5 to 6 months without attacks before slowly weaning off.

But it wont work if something else is causing your symptoms like BPPV which is why you need a proper diagnosis from an ENT consultant.

Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you. I am on 16mg 3 times a day and have been for quite some time. I must admit that I stopped for a while as was in remission it seems and now have to build back up again maybe?! I really appreciate all your support. Have a massive cold now so that must have had a part to play in it getting so bad again. Am hoping this gets better quick. It’s gpos to

Know there are others out there with success stories too x

• Posted

Needy what is BPPV. Should probably know but so many abbreviations for things. Thks
    • Posted

I don't THINK I'm needy!!

BPPV stands for Benign Positional Paroxysmal Vertigo. Although its cause is nothing to do with Meniere's disease it has a higher incidence per thousand of the population so up tp 30% of Meniere's sufferers also get BPPV including me.

• Posted

Hmmm. Might be worth me looking into this too! Made a massive mistake of taking some night nurse last night, checked it with the pharmacist and he said ok to take. It’s only when I checked today because it’s put me totally off balance that I see it has antihistamine in it! Having a cold is always challenging but with MD as well it’s horrendous 
    • Posted

Sorry Needy hah oh I meant Neddy. Just trying to be funny. Thks for info not sure if I have this. I'm only slightly dizzy sometimes but when the attacks come on different story. 

• Posted

People who have BPPV use an exercise called the Epley manouevre to get rid of the problem. You can find videos on Utube on how to do it. It is completely safe and will do no harm even if you make a mistake. You could use the first part of the routine to test if you have it. Sit on a bed so that when you lie back your head will be hanging just over the edge. Having got yourself correctly positioned turn your head 45 degrees toward the bad (or worst) ear and upwards at 45 degrees. Then lie back as described above. If you have BPPV within a few seconds you will get dizzy and if a friend is watching carefully they will see your eyes flicking back and forth (nistagmus). The vertigo should stop within 30 to 60 seconds - if not there may be something more complicated than BPPV going on!

You can then repeat for the other ear.

If you try this I hope it turns out negative - although it can be relatively easily managed it is a nuisance we could all do without.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.