Will Lyrica help me I failed Neurontin?

Posted , 10 users are following.

hi, I am new here.  I am suffering from severe restless leg syndrome which renders me sleepless every night.  I have tried a numerous medications including xanax, neurontine, trizodone, klonopin---etc to no avail.  As my last straw I want to try Lyrica which belongs to the same family as Neurontin.  Since Neurontin has lost effect on me do you think Lyrica will help me?  If Lyrica fails I would have to resort to Methadone which I am very reluctant right now.  Please give me advice if someone has experienced on the two medications.  Thanks, Being desperate and close to suicide.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Some agonists do cause augmentation, synimet for one, but if ropinirole causes augmentation it must take a very, very long time.  I have been taking it for about 12 years and have not needed to increase my dosage.

If your fear of augmentation is preventing you from taking ropinirole you probably have more issues than RLS.  It is also time for you to change your medical advisors; they are  unprepared  and uninformed to perform

their duties to their patients.  As for the side effects just read the notice accompanying he product. Two of them couldn't be more correct;

gambling and sexual drive/increased libido. 

• Posted

It is very encouraging to know your positive experience with ropinirole.  By the way how much dosage you are on and how severe were your symptoms  the time when your started the med?

• Posted

Ropinirole (Requip) worked well for me for quite some time. 1 mg in the evening put me to sleep in exactly one hour.  Eventually it augmented.  I increased amount but found, for me, it would give me severe headaches.  I switched to Gabapentin which worked for a while but had to increase doseage and again headaches plus bizarre behavioral changes on higher doseage.  For years I was on just Robaxin (muscle relaxant) an hour or so before bedtime and that worked.  I now take 500 - 750 mg of Robaxin every night plus low doseage of ropinirole (.125) but am increasing to .25 as augmentation may be starting.  I also use Norco for the pain I experience.  But, after switching back to ropinirole after a break of a couple of months the low doseage along with the muscle relaxant to help control the (jumpies) and the Norco for the pain seem to be working pretty well.  I still have to sometimes get out of bed to take another round and sometimes the RLS just goes to town, but these three together do seem to keep it pretty well under control.  This is a miserable scary condition when one realizes it's a on going condition
  • Posted

I haven't taken any of those medicines, but I am a month away from my 90th birthday and have suffered hell since I was in my 50s.  I take 2 x 50 mg of Tramadol and 2 x 0.5 mg of Ropinrole, both of which I am prescribed by my Doctor.  These definitely help, but I am still not free of this dreadful complaint.  The reason I came up with Tramadol - about 5 years ago I had a bad attack of Shingles and was given Tramadol for the pain.  After 2 weeks, I suddenly realised my legs were not jumping.  I feel some of it is psychological, because if I am in the middle of a bad attack and someone phones me for a chat, the jumpyness goes.  Unfortunately it  is a controlled drug and you can't buy it.    Try it if you can get it.  Hope something soon works for you.

• Posted

I understand your feelings my brother has suffered for many decades and he is sometimes at wits ends.   I also ACQUIRED RLS after a hip replacement two years ago.   I am easily fixed with 25 mg of SIFROL and my brother takes ten times that dose, along with sleeping pills. etc.   I am surprised he is still able to stand sometimes.    I wish so much that a remedy could be found.    Hang in there.
  • Posted

Ask your gp if you can try liquid morphine. Some people have had success with this

Good Luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.