Will mastoidectomy relive my symptoms related to c-toma?

Posted , 5 users are following.

For a few years, my left ear has a blocked, 'dense' feeling, alike to being submerged in water. It comes and go, but recently it worsen and I feel it daily. Doctor diagnosed that I have c-toma and recommended mastoidectomy surgery. But I am not sure if this surgery will completely relieve this symptom? In addition I also have discharge from my affected ear, it is yellowish but have no smell. Will surgery stop this discharge?

I have also read that some are worse off after surgery, like loss of balance, titinus, worsen hearing. So I am unsure, will surgery makes things worse? Should I still go for the surgery then?

I would love to hear from your opinion and experiences. Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Apple 01

My 7 year old daughter has had the op and I didn't want her operated on! However if c'toma left it can cause serious damage and grow into the facial nerve and even the brain. Therefore the complications untreated out weigh the risks of the op.

My daughter was so brave, bounced back very quickly and it really wasn't as bad as I had imagined.

Do lots of research and read what can happen if untreated.

Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Nosnip,

It is encouraging for me to hear that your daughter responsed well to the op. Thank you for sharing your experiences.

• Posted

Has your c-toma been removed?

What you're describing sounds similar to Menieres.

• Posted

Hi Carol 02333,

No it is not removed yet, I am still thinking if I should go for an op to remove it. I read that some people have long term complications after the op and I am really worried.

I read up about Menieres, but I do not experience vertigo, so I do not think I have this disease.

• Posted

I've had an operation twice now to remove cholesteatoma. I'd say go for the operation but be aware there is chance it will still come back & you could face problems still after surgery. (Leaky ear, pain in ear)

• Posted

Hello Apple 01

I would not wait to get the C'toma removed. Usually they dont know if you need a mastoidectomy until they get in there to see how much damage it has been done by the C'toma. They will cause perminant damage to bones and nerves if left untreated.

Personally I am a rare example of several C'tomas. I am heading in this month for a 5th removal. Have already had mastoidectomy left side complety removed, two full rebuilds and now get to do it again.

Do not wait, it won't go away and get better by itself. You might wake up one day and won't feel your face or blink an eye. The other sign is food starts to taste bland or like you have a penny in your mouth. That means it's starting to corrode your facial nerve. One of the first thing to be infected, then it starts to eat away at the underside of the brain cavity. All the above has happened in my personal battle. The worst was the left side of my face was parralized until the nerve was sewn back together and healed up. I am not an old person either. If left un treated, it can kill you if it's corrosive enough.

Get it done! You will feel better in a few months!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.