Will Mirtazapine help me gain weight

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, i need some advice on weight gain whilst on Mirtazapine. 

I have been prescribed 15mg for 2 weeks for depression which has lead to severe weight loss Iam 5'5 and weigh just under 7 stone which makes me look horrible, so horrible I can hear people talk about me in the street, I look terrible. Before taking the medication I was aware of my weight and have always made special efforts to eat regular but still could not maintain a good weight. I have only been on mirtazapine for a few days, and have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks to see how I'm getting on and maybe to up my dosage. I haven't had any hunger cravings like I have heard people talk about and I'm really worried that I'm going to be the only person ever not to gain weight from these meds. My weight really adds to my depression and stops me going out the house, I want to gain 2-3 stone. But don't think this would be possible as I already eat a good amount of food every day. 

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Most ppl gain a considerable amount of weight. I dont know how much kg exactly is 2-3 stone but i gained 10+kg while i was 190cm and 78kg

However if you get depressed from your body image maybe there are other ways to enhance your selfestheem. Have u ever tried going to the gym in order to gain some muscle mass?

Btw marathon runners are very skinny too, most of them dont have problems with that (well running seems to be a good therapy against depression)

Take care

• Posted

Hi pearldrop thank you for your reply, I have tried gaining muscle and drank loads of protein shake drinks, believe me I've tried everything, this has been a problem for about 6 years, I suffer extreem anxiety so won't go to the gym. I hope this mirt will be my answer for weight and depression and anxiety. 
    • Posted

Have you tried complimentry therapy, hypnotherepy,l live with anxiety and panic attacks its a terrible terrible illness when it grips you ...... But thete is light at the end of the tunnel l am at the moment having therapy and its helping me change my way of thinking in a positive way ..... Google positive words write all the nice words that you like and in the not so nice days have a look at them your brain wil process them and this creates a chain of nice thoughts it works for me anyway .... Smilely faces are nice to ..... X
    • Posted

I will try Hayley and let you know, thanks for that. 
  • Posted

Hi jo

I would give them one or two weeks to get into your system, in my experience on them l gained over 2 stone. I hope this helps. Try putting earplugs in with your music on this way you wont hear the ignorance my love....

Hayley

• Posted

Thank you so much Hayley, I hope I can gain like you would be a dream come true for me! 
  • Posted

Like you I lost weight through anxiety.  Am 5ft 11 and dropped to 9 stone through anxiety.  Mirtazapine certainly gave me an appetite and have now gone back to my normal weight of 10 1/2 stone.

However for me the reason for the weight loss was due to loss of appetite whereas you seem to be saying you eat reguarly and a good amount already i.e. you appear to already have an appetite.  I think weight gain through Mirtazapine is normally due to the increase in appetite it gives you and hence the more food you eat. 

That said you've only been on the pills for a few days, give them a bit longer and see if they increase your appetite any.

• Posted

Hi. I never gained anyn weight while on these tablets, my weight just stayed the same. I think it depends on your metabolism.
  • Posted

I gained 3.5 stone on mirt which was a blessing for me after struggling with weight being too low for years. Just make sure you eat healthy,  mirt made me ravenous and initially and I ate anything and everything at all hours at first!

It took a little while for it to kick in so give it a few weeks. You'll probably not notice at first ... with me I just gradually lost my "full" signal so kept eating!!!

Good luck with it all, they really helped me :-)

• Posted

Hi Jo, I too had lost weight (around 2 stone) from depression, since being on mirtazapine I have gained 2 stone in just 6 months. I can't guarantee that you will gain this much as everyone is different, but it is likely that you will get an increase in appetite, leading to weight gain. Perhaps when you see your doctor for your follow up appointment, if you haven't already, you could talk to them about your diet and ask what foods you could eat to help you gain weight but still being maintain being healthy.
  • Posted

Hi Jo I've been on Mirtazapine for 4yrs when I was put on it it was the same as you depprestion,and anxiety,my weight at that time was 6st10 and I was 5ft2 inever put any weight on at all and I also had a good appetite .So I do think it is due to your metabolism .But get yourself out there and stop worrying how you look.Have Fun.
  • Posted

The mirtazapine is for depression not weight loss or gain.  Are you eating properly? or are you making it up about how you eat? It would be interesting to know. If you can be honest with yourself then maybe you can sort out your nutritional needs.
    • Posted

I would appreciate it if you kept your negative comments to yourself. If you haven't got anything constructive to say then I suggest you shut TF up. Dickie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.