Will Mirtizipine help me sleep?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi guys I have had severe insomnia for 8 months, tried all the over the counter stuff, herbs etc. Nothing worked. Tried Zopiclone but was scared only 1 pill would not work so first night I took 2 (15mg) and I got 8 hours uninterrupted sleep. Felt great the next day but my doctor only gave me 7 pills so soon used them up.

Anyway for the past month I have been drinking alcohol every night to get to sleep and whilst alcohol knocks me out (if I drink enough) I've become more and more depressed and find it hard to enjoy life, I guess regular alcohol consumption is the culprit as alcohol is a strong depressant?

This evening I went to the doctor and explained things and he gave me Mirtizipine 15mg a night to try, my question is do these work as well as sleeping tablets? I've heard great things said about them that first some people they are even more sedating than the hypnotic z drugs (Zopiclone, Zolpidem).

Thanks.

0 likes, 36 replies

36 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gareth, while drugs work in different ways for different people I can say that from my experience mirtazapine will definitely provide a good nights sleep. I have been taking it for about two years and sleep like the dead. You only have to give it a try and by all means back off on the booze!! Alcohol is the absolute worst sleep med besides reeking havoc with the rest of your body.
    • Posted

Yeah alcohol was making me depressed and very anxious the next day too. Fast heart, panic attacks etc. The more regular I drink the worse these symptoms become.
    • Posted

I don't think you need much more of a hint from your body to ease up on the alcohol. Not necessarily quit but drink responsibly. You will feel better physically and mentally.

• Posted

Yeah does it sound obvious to you that alcohol was the main culprit with my panic attacks/depression? because I have not had a drink since Tuesday night. Today is the first time in a long while I did not have a panic attack or feel down.

Prior to Tuesady I was drinking every night for about a month. It was 4 cans of high strength beers. Not sure what country your in but in the UK I was drinking about 15 "units" of alcohol a night, a full bottle of wine contains around 10. Overall I was drinking over 90 units a week. The recommended max intake for a male is 22, so I was way over the limit. No wonder I felt like crap.

• Posted

I too went through a time when alcohol and cigarettes were my go to drugs to ease the constant anxiety and pressures of my day to day world. Then I crashed and burned and found myself in a full blown mental collapse. Years have passed since then with many ups and downs along the way. I have learned that moderation helps and have found solace in what I know as the "serenity prayer". In case you don't know it it goes like this --- Please God, grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference---

And try not to over think everything.

I am in the USA, New York State to be exact.

Be well my friend

• Posted

Zopiclone will make you go to sleep but I don’t think it’s a healthy sleep.

I’ve have been on it for 3 years and am now unfortunately stuck with the prospect of withdrawal. I wouldn’t personally touch the stuff unless you stick to short time use

• Posted

I haven’t found mirtazapam helpful 

Zopiclone will do the trick but I can understand why your doc will only give U 7 days supply . It’s highly addictive and I can vouch for that. 

• Posted

Hi. 

Yes it is going to make you sleep as well as with mood and alcohol withdrawal, however talking about my experience stay on 15 mg at the beginning you will feel a bit drowsy but a week later you’ll feel better tho.

Good luck.

• Posted

Well so far after four nights on Mirtazapine it doesn't work all that great for me for sleep. I think last night I got 3 hours, but was tossing and turning until 4am. Felt groggy "drugged up" until mid afternoon.

Maybe I just have to accept I am a bad sleeper and there's not much I can do about it. Probably using sedatives often like alcohol and Zopiclone has not helped. Maybe my tolerance is high and that's why Mirtazapine has not worked as well as it should?

• Posted

That's what time I've been going to sleep for the last 9 months Gareth. What dose did you take?

• Posted

I take 15mg. Certainly doesn't knock me out like it does for a lot of people. I seem very difficult to sedate, also I seem to be angry on it, not depressed but angry. Not sure what to do.....I'm thinking of quitting it altogether and trying to sleep naturally even if it means a night or two of no sleep. Surely I will sleep on my own when I get exhausted.

• Posted

Gareth my best abvice to you is stop taking it. I've had angry issues for weeks on end honesty u believable. This drug has stripped my personality ang I'm a shadow of who I used to be. I hardly slept I don't want to eat and the anger arrives often. A lot of people have had anger while taking this drug. Find other ways mate because I wish I was in your position where I could stop taking it but I can't.

• Posted

I might try a supplement called 5-htp. It's supposed to increase serotonin and in turn melatonin so it aids sleep. I tried it back in December and I'm sure it worked but came off it when I thought I no longer needed it and was still sleeping well until mid Jan then I started having problems sleeping again. Should have gone back on it sooner, but I started drinking alcohol to sleep.

• Posted

I also suggest that you stop taking the drug.  Obviously, I'm not your pdoc, but my own experience was not good.  The drug caused a lot of weird side effects and I was taking a low dose (7.5 mg) for insomnia.  Restless leg, jittery feeling every morning like I drank too much coffee, my left hand felt like it was detached from my body - I had a hard time typing on a keyboard; my gait was messed up like I couldn't walk normally, not to mention that the drug made me feel like hell every morning upon waking with bad nausea.  Initially, I was getting ok sleep, like 7 hours, but after a couple weeks, I was back to 4-6 hours so at that point, the benefit of the drug was outweighed by the side effects.  Another aspect you possibly haven't considered is that when you decide to discontinue the drug, the withdrawal effects will be horrible depending on the dose and length of time you have been taking mirtazapine.  There are many posts in the Mirtazapine forum that discuss the difficulties people have tapering off the drug.  In any event, I learned that Mirtazapine ain't no joke.  It is a very potent drug; even a little crumb can have a profound effect on you.  Unlike Pudsey67, I can't say the drug made me angry, but I was certainly irritable, possibly because I was tired all the time.  This drug basically made me 100% unmotivated to do anything other than sit in my recliner all day long and surf the internet.  I'm trying to find a natural solution to the insomnia.  Ideally I would like to find something that does not contain melatonin as there are some risks to taking melatonin on a long term basis.  Nested Naturals has a melatonin-free version of it's Luna product that I think I may try. 

• Posted

I was only on Mirtazapine a few nights. Last night I did not take any, took me a while to get to sleep but today no groggy drugged up feeling like you get from these overly sedating drugs like Mirtazapine. I actually felt more rested than when I was on the Mirtazapine. I guess that was because I wasn't groggy today. I just felt like I had some natural sleep.

• Posted

Yeah, totally agree with you.  I felt like hell in the morning when taking Mirtazapine not to mention useless and unmotivated for pretty much the entire day.  It's just not worth it.  That being said, I am now facing severe insomnia after not having taken the drug for a couple weeks now.  I was taking Ativan to make me fall asleep, but that also has its problems long term.  I took melatonin the other night, but it gave me a dull headache the following day.  I hope I can find a natural solution that doesn;t make me feel awful in the morning or make me drowsy throughout the day.

• Posted

Probably only had about 4 hours sleep last night but still felt better this morning than when I was taking Mirtazapine. I hope you find a long term solution to your insomnia, lack of sleep is crap. Personally for me I will now try and not have any sedatives before bed - antihistamines, sleeping pills, alcohol. It seems I have built a tolerance to them anyway after using them often for sleep over the past months. I might buy some Zolpidem online for emergencies when I have a night or two in a row of zero sleep. But as of now I can sleep on my own but it's far from perfect. I can function though so I can live with that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.