Will my Abdominal/pelvic CT look at lower back?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having lower abdominal, lower back pain and rectal pressure for over 3 months and my urologist ordered a pelvic/abdominal ct scan in 2 days. I've read online that abdominal ct scans actually pretty reliably show lower back/spine lesions. It makes me nervous knowing it could be something spinal related and that it would miss it. I plan on asking the technician when I'm there. Anyone know anything about CTs that could help me out? Do abdominal cts only look from the anterior or view or do they look from the Sagittal view as well to see the lateral viewpoint? Thank you!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello Alex

A good way to see what is on a CT scan is to look at them on the internet. Type in the type of ct scan for pictures, and you will get to look at an abundance of scans. Although you cannot understand them, at least it will give you an idea of what the Dr's see & you will definitley be able to see your spine or not. I am somewhat sure however, that your ct scan will show a portion of your spine.

The thing is usually the radiologist will only look for what the Dr. ordered unless there is something standing out. I much prefer my Dr.s to read scan's since I have found depending on how busy a radiologist is, greatly depends on how involved the report.

I wish you well and please don't stress yourself out, try to relax. I know its easier said than done, and if it is your spine. The treatments now are far better than they were. I have a long fusion from t1 to s1. Full rods both sides with 28 screws & now in my 8th month of recovery am going in for another surgery for the lumbar pelvic fusion. YIKES!!! Although its been extremely difficult I am much better than before surgery.

Please let me know if looking at the ct scans helped. All the best to you......Anna

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.