will my anxiety get better?

Posted , 36 users are following.

Hi. This is my first post on here, i have felt encouraged by reading this forum. I started cit 4 weeks ago for having bouts of health anxiety. I started on 10mg. As soon as i took the tablet my anxiety went through the roof. I had about a week where i found it very difficult to eat or sleep but things did improve over the four weeks and i even had some days where i felt pretty normal with very limited anxiety last week, however this weekend my anxiety rocketed again for no real reason, i have reply eat or slept again. When i went to see my gp Friday before the anxiety rocketed she did say about me increasing to 20mg but as she knew i was scared to do so she suggested leaving another two weeks, but after a terrible day Saturday i decided to bite the bullet and double the dose yesterday, so i am now on 20mg. My question is, when i wake in the morning my first thing i think is am i anxious which gets me feeling very anxious and takes ages if not all day to calm down, will this subside ! I am now obsessive about when and if i will get better as i am so much worse since taking the medication. Do people think that the 20mg will stop me feeling anxious whenever i wake in the morning and throughout the day? I am so frightened that i am never going to come out of this and will never be able enjoy a meal with my family again. Thanks so much for reading.

5 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hiya I have been on 20mg now for 3weeks and the symptoms was bad again I stil have bad nights usually every third night I sleep good then bad and edgy again. But my gp said can take up to 6 weeks to settle in your body. If you try and go with it instead of fighting against it you will relax more. I know easier said than done. But im still off work after nearly 3 weeks but know I have to be fit before I return. Had a bad night myself last night but I go with it now. I used to cry about it but just dont expect to soon.all the best.
  • Posted

Hi maisie im on citalopram 10mg and just on my 13th week ... for the first 6 weeks I had increased anxiety ... id say the first 3 weeks were the worst then the other 3 weeks it was coming and going then all of a suuden it went . It brought anxiety id never had before and made me feel anxious in situations I was fine in before the cit so I was sure it wasnt working I rang my dr almost every day one week lol I stuck with them with her reassurance that it was normal and im glad I didn't give up. Apparently if your anxiety gets worse its a good sign the tablets will work. I had real bad health anxiety I thought I was dying or had a disease every time I felt a twinge or something I was at the drs 3 times a week and it was made worse by me googling symptoms it always tells u the worst . I had a filling at the dentist and went back 4 days in a row twice on one of the days as I was paranoid I was getting an abscess . I had counselling and cbt for it which did kinda help but I felt I needed the cit to kinda calm me down so I dont always think the worst and it certainly has. You will get better smile

Good luck smile

• Posted

You are exactly right what you said. Im on my 4th week now and still get anxiety on and off. But it is calming down now. I thank everyone who helped me on this site. :-)
  • Posted

Many thanks for the responses, that is very reassuring to hear, i feel i always need lots of reassurance when i am anxious as i can't seem to give this to myself, am hoping the medication will help with this. Has anyone experienced lack of appetite too? When i went on the cit 4 weeks ago my appetite went but gradually it improved but it has gone again with my latest bout of increased anxiety, i don't think it is to do with increasing my dose as it went the day before the increase. The lack of appetite is making the anxiety worse as it reminds me 3 times a day that i am anxious - i have two small children so have to still do meals. I have lost about 9 lb now and am even starting to worry that its turning into an eating disorder, i so want my appetite back for normality which is why i think i am stressing about it. My mind seems to be constantly thinking about my anxiety, will the tablets help stop me thinking of it. I do sometimes feel like my mind has lost it. I think i am bad at the moment as i thought i was getting better but four weeks in i feel like i have gone back to the beginning.
  • Posted

I think most of it is down to the increase of dose as symptoms do start again as it did for me. . Eat little and often even if you don't want to.
  • Posted

I didnt eat a full meal for the first 3 weeks I had no desire to eat even I worried about not being able to eat n getting an eating disorder too ! Weird how your symptoms sound just like mine n I thought I was crazy n the only one lol. But I can assure you your appetite will come back it just takes time m just eat what you want when you want dont put pressure on yourself to eat a proper meal . I was eating a piece of toast in morning a handful of plain crisps in afternoon and crackers for dinner this went on for 3 weeks ... I also made sure I was drinking plenty of water . Just try not to stress just remember one day youll be better and think omg I havent been anxious today n thats when youll realise theyve kicked in properly . 4 weeks is very early on the best is yet to come
  • Posted

You do sound very similar to me Natasha, i too am guilty of googling every symptom, i got in this particular mess as i convinced myself that i had ms. What has got me with this one is my anxiety before would always be about a health issue which generally resolved itself fairly quickly however now the worry is over my mental health which is obviously going to take more time to heal so the anxiety is feeding off of that. I am exhausted from feeling like this now!
    • Posted

Hi I know this is an old post but just wanted to see if you're feeling better? I'm currently struggling with mental health anxiety as you described, I've been taking Citalapram for 4 weeks and still haven't noticed a difference other than still being hugely anxious just wanted to see if there's any light at the end of the tunnel? Thanks

• Posted

Hi Rachel. I didn't notice a real difference until week 7 and 8. Citalopram can take a while to balance out.

• Posted

Hi Rachael, How are you getting on now? I have been suffering anxiety for 8 years and was on 20mg of citalopram which seemed to work. I came off these totally (in gradually reduced doses) 5 months ago as I was feeling much better. Since September I have had a total relapse and my anxiety has hit it's worse point ever. I was put back on 10mg of citalopram 5 weeks ago and this was increased to 20mg 2 weeks ago. My anxiety is just horrific right now and I was wondering if the citalopram has worked for you yet? X

• Posted

Well hope u get better soon. Im a bit anxious 2day and feel guilty about asking doc for another sickness note. But im on my 4th week now too and still trying to wean myself off old tablets as well.
  • Posted

Hi Maisie. I have Osteoarthritis, Ankylosing Spondtlitis, Gout, Fibromyalgia High BP & a Prostate problem. Reason for listing all these is that I take meds for all the conditions listed, conditions I have had for some 30yrs or more. I have been on Cit. for about 15 months as I was having very bad mood swings, & would get very stressed out & anxious over really silly things. Truth is, I have probably had the depression for quite a long time & just ignored it. For the first month I was put on 10mg then 20 for a month & now on 40. I didn't notice any real side effects myself, possibly due to feeling like s**t most of the time anyway, but 2 weeks ago I had to give a short speech at my father-in-laws funeral, something I would normally have been almost incapable of doing due to extreme anxiety. Well, I sailed through it without a hint of nervousness, I actually enjoyed the feeling of accomplishing something. It was the meds first real test of how it would affect my nervousness, & it worked a treat. It;s little victories like this that keep me going when things are bad. My mood swings are still there & can be quite sudden, but I just ride them out by going to bed or keeping away from people till "normality" resumes. We react in a different way to medication. I think it's worth you continuing, but see your GP if you are concerned. I wish you well. PM any time if you like to talk.
  • Posted

Hi maisie, I too started on citalopram 10mg a day for panic attacks but unfortunately didn't get past day 5, mainly due to the fact of me developing anxiety and severe depression also i went through exactly what you went through, they made my panic attacks 100 times worse, i was getting no sleep, couldn't eat, tremors, hot and cold sweats......basically everything it lists as a side effect i got not to mention the fact i almost went plum crazy aswel, an not metaphorical but literally i almost lost my mind, it was the scariest moment in my life......my doctor finally changed me to venlafaxine 37.5mg twice a day and all the side effects disappeared within 3 days, i also was put on propranolol 40mg x3 a day, these are beta blockers and stop the physical release of adrenaline and so stops all the other symptoms also......just not the mental ones, i still have the reoccurring thoughts that bring on a panic attack and still have a panic attack in some weird way.

but genuinely i am so happy citalopram is working for you and you were able to make it past the first few weeks, i wish I could have. Just wanted to say well done you and i hope they continue to work for you and your anxiety continues to improve. Its so good to here success stories on here once in a while.

Thanks for sharing your experience and beat wishes for the future.

Love Danielle x

• Posted

stop taking them immediately, is the best advice i can give. I'ma 3 year veteran citilapram user been off them for 2 years now. I wish I'd never started on them... try changing your diet....Food is the best medicine
    • Posted

can you explain to me please.  my doctor gave me citalopram last week for intense stress (which he said is partly anxiety and depression).  i am reluctant to take because of side effects. So have held off.  trying to manage with partners help.  Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.