Will my child have epilepsy?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I have some concerns and questions which I would really like some answers to, if anyone can help.

I have been with my boyfriend for two years now and we are getting to the stage of talking about having children but we are both concerned about what the chances of our child having epilepsy.

So my boyfriend has primary generalized epilspsy. He has had seizures from when he was a little boy. His mother had petit mal but grew out of it and no longer has seizures. Currently my other half takes 100g of lamotrigine twice a day. One in the morning and one in the evening. This controls his seizures and hasn’t had once since taking the medication.

I have no existing medical conditions and have no history of any genetic conditions which could affect my child. But my other half having epilepsy, what are the chances of our child develping it?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sophie,

There are always chances when having children. My mother had epilepsy. I use to as a small child hold her head in my hands to stop her from banging her head on the floor. My oldest son had epilepsy ( had a EEG) and he doesn't speak of it if he still does, one of my daughters has her triggers for seizures, my youngest son has episodes of some sort and I have seizures with auras that warn me to get into a safe position. I think a ripple effect has come down the DNA to my children and me. In the end you just love your children for who they are. It's a percentage or not. 

• Posted

hi Sophie not always the case. i have epilepsy and no-one in the family has it ,i also checked a few generations back no-one . there are many reasons why epilepsy suddenly appears . I Have had 3 children and not one even showed any sign of epilespy

I was first diagnosed when I was 6 with grand mal epilepsy and i have taken eplim and tegretol for 47 years which included taking them during pregnancy although I was told epilim could cause deformities during first 3 monthseverything thing was fine

I Wonted children so i was prepared no matter i would look after the child

so don't worry you might or most likely be ok what ever you decide take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.