Will my colonoscopy and MRI scan reveal other health issues?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So the doctors think i might have Crohns disease and im due a colonoscopy and an MRI to check for it. Lately ive had very bad anal pain and believe i have a fissure/hemmeroid (i have no idea what it is) but the pain is immense after BM's and my whole anal region aches all day.

1. Will the colonoscopy hurt me if im having these issues?

2. Since they are looking for Crohns disease, will they still pick up on this issue if it shows inflammation on the scan?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Ive already been to my GP about this other issue but the cream he gave me doesn't work and he hasnt really diagnosed me with anything specific.

Since the Crohns caused this issue anyway (constant loose stools) maybe they will notice it?

The doctor told me that they couldnt find anything when they examined my anus and said to just wait for the colonoscopy. Scared and confused.

• Posted

Hi Jeff

Sorry to hear about your problems, I do hope you are coping ok.

With regards to your colonoscopy, you can opt for pain relief and sedative, which I recommend. It doesn’t take all the pain away, but makes it so much easier than deal with. Just remember you are in the best place if there complications, but they are very rare, you’ll be surprised how tough your insides are, and they can take a fair bit of punishment. I’ve had two now and both have been fine, the worst part is the bowel prep, the colonoscopy is more of a relief as you know you’ve only got 20 - 30 minutes to go and it’ll all be over. I managed to watch everything on the TV screen during m last one, very interesting! The prep can be pretty awful and very draining, just make sure you nap when you can, keep up your water intake, have wet wipes at the ready for the frequent, prolonged bowel movements and a good book or tablet at the ready for entertainment on the toilet.

They will be looking for signs of inflammation and perhaps ulcers if Crohns is suspected, they will probably take biopsies as well to be sure they give the right diagnosis. They will also be able see things like diverticulitis, haemorrhoids, polyps, etc if there are any there. Biopsies will take a while to get results through, mine took about 3 weeks.

I don’t like colonoscopies, but then again I doubt many people do, but it’s not too bad really, certainly worth the 2 to 3 days of the prep and procedure to get some answers. I’m sure you you be fine.

All the best for your treatment and let us know how you get on.

• Posted

Hi Jeff, I find the colonoscopy doesn’t hurt the piles unlike a doctor’s exam which I find does. Don’t ask me why!! Sounds very like a strangulated pile which can be murderous and aches for ever until the swelling goes down. The other possibility is an anal fissure (tear) which can also be murderously painful too (in fact I think it is the worst pain of all round there). They can be more difficult to spot than piles. I use a bit of local anaesthetic cream (like germaloids) but you have to twist your finger round when you are putting it in to make sure it is getting everywhere. The anal tears can hide away in the fold of the back passage. I would mention this issue. Piles are obvious but anal fissures aren’t. You can get a whole collection of problems when the bowel has inflammation or is angry, because you tend to strain and that can make piles and fissures worse. I hope they can do something for you because although not serious, piles and fissures can give unbearable pain. You can also get a cushion with a split in the centre or a hole which makes sitting more comfortable.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.