Will my flexibility improve after THR

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi everyone, ... I was just curious about something .....my history is that I was born with a dislocated left hip (hip dypslasia) it was fixed but not till I was three, I am 49 now... Ive always had hip issues as it was still weaker , but until about 5 /6 years ago it did not impact too much on my life however since then it's all went downhill , I've got bone and bone and had for several years, and I now limp and have done for ages.  I've been very reluctant to "give in" and have a hip replacement having had cortisone and more intensive hip injections into my joint in theatre, but I realise that my only option is a THR so I'm now on the waiting list.  

My question is about my hip flexibility or lack of it.  My good hip has been checked and is fine and last time it was xrayed showed no signs of arthritis, however the flexibility now  in my good hip is as bad if not worse than my bad hip if that makes sense.  I've always had a bit of restriction in how I could move my bad hip but still managed to climb stairs get into cars etc, but since my hip has deteriorated that has got worse, but what worries me is my good hip is now just as bad when climbing stairs, and I'm at the stage where I can't climb into a bus or anything as I can't raise my good leg up high enough  to step in, let alone my bad one.  Is this just because of my lack of General movement that my flexibility has gone.  Im just concerned about my good hip and wondering if once I have my hip replacement if I will manage to improve things in my good hip as well as obviously my hip replacement .

I know my alignment is terrible and my consultant said my hip socket was rotated too, so I obviously need straighten up, whether that's got anything to do with my flexibility or not I'm not sure.  It's just worrying as we have had several occasions where I've had to climb into a mini bus taxi or a small coach and I can hardly climb up the step to get into it, so that's another thing I can't or am struggling to do,  I just wondered if anyone experienced anything similar . 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

This is an issue I am trying to deal with as well. I was very flexible for years, left hip became arthritic 10 years ago and have slowly been losing flexibility and strength in the left hip. My right hip has always been strong and flexible.

I had my LTHR in December, I was hoping my flexibility would return after the surgery. I have been doing lots of physio and stretches, perhaps im being too impatient but my worry is that I will never get movement and strength back.

My physiotherapist has advised lots more one on one physio, deep tissue massages, hydrotherapy and pilates to strengthen and balance out my uneven core. I am waiting to be signed off by my surgeon at my 12 week appointment, I am hoping he gives me to ahead to start getting better.

If you talk to a physio as soon as possible they can help you start wakening up your muscles right now, my mistake was to completely stop moving when I ended up in crutches a year ago!

• Posted

Thanks Mishelle for your reply.  Yes I think that's my problem too as my hip has got worse I've moved less and less, I probably spend 2/3rds of my day sitting down now, and whilst my bad hip won't improve it feels like my other hip has came out in sympathy so to speak and lost any flexibility it had too.

Im just worried that that flexibility won't improve or come back later after  I get my THR.....I have my hospital assessment. In another week (was suppose to be Friday but cancelled by hospital) and I'm seeing physio then so I will ask them about it as you suggest.  Interesting to hear about Pilates too, I've been thinking bout this for a while and I was hoping to start a class when my hip improves after my THR.  I can relate to an uneven core I think or rather I know I'm all lopsided, my consultant said they are hoping to straighten me up and even things out, though I know it will all take time.  I've been walking about lopsided for the past few years and the worse my hip gets the more I do it   Praying that all this will improve after my hip op and with time and effort.

• Posted

I too had congenital hip dysplasia on my left hip only. No surgery until my THR Jan 23rd, 2017. But I became bone on bone before that and had lost my flexibility for two years prior. Right hip wass fine, no arthritis even, but it would hurt at times from taking the brunt if my weight trying to compensate for the bad one. My right hip now never hurts.

After my anterior surgery 4.5 weeks ago, I can already touch my toes, lift my leg up like going up a stair or into a bus step, reach down to floor while seated even. My flexibility is amazing. I never thought I'd get it back. Also just feeling straighter in my alignment and even in my length between the two legs feels awesome. I never have had this feeling before because I was not born with level, normal hips.

I've worked super hard at my PT and diligently do my PT exercises at home.

• Posted

Hi. I have hip dysplasia in both hips. They have arthritis and have broken down. I have had the right thr with a bone graft. I'm 52.

Happy to say my uneven legs are now even. Started my exercises before the op. Have worked hard on lots of physio and am more flexible than before. Hope I can get the other hip done as that will help more.

9 months out I have learnt that the exercises have to be done always or the stiffness and muscle weakness returns.

Good luck

• Posted

Hi lizbet

My best pal has had 3 hip replacements as she has the same condition as you and in her 50's. Apart from stiffness which seems to go with hip replacements nothing has ever stopped her doing anything. She now thinks it hilarious that I have now become a hipster. I had the physio injections etc but no improvement just get it done the hip pain goes it's amazing. The process isn't quick the first two weeks are hard but every week gets better if it takes 6 or 12 months to fully recover it's worth being pain free for the next 10-20 years! So what are you waiting for?

Julie x

• Posted

Thanks Julie, Denise and Beachcover., that's so encouraging to hear your experiences.  I've been worrying about the whole THR, and everything involved.  I probably could have got it done or rather the Surgeon was happy to do it 3/4 years ago but I thought I'd keep going as I felt I could cope but things have just got worse and worse, and no amount of cortisone, massages etc are going to help my hip since it's been bone on bone.  I think I just needed to accept this myself, and know that I need to go for it,  I'm so so stiff nowadays, and can hardly lift my bad leg at all, and my posture is just awful, I see myself in the reflection  of a shop window and I look about 80 , not good  It's great to hear how you have all improved so much and what you can do now,  I will need to be good at keeping up all my exercises and it encouraging me hearing that that has helped you all.

ive also been worried about leg length, I didn't really notice much difference years ago in the length of my legs, but there has been a noticeable difference this past 5 years and I think I've made things worse on my bad leg and shortened the muscles further as I don't put my full weight on my bad leg and tend to stand with the other leg at the side or on a slight tip toe, and when I sit I curl my bad leg under the chair slightly, it's all done without me thinking as I keep trying to stop myself doing it and straighten my leg but it's become a habit I can't break, so I think this hasn't helped matters either.

Thanks again for replying Lizbet 

• Posted

It's always about user it or lose it! I have bad arthritis in both hips, but one doesn't hurt at all. The other has deteriorated over the last five years, and was replaced in November after developing necrosis in the summer. Due to this, and the fact that I need ankle surgery, I have been virtually unable to walk since last May. 

BUT I can still touch the ground with my palms from standing, and all the muscles are strong and flexible. That's on account of 40+ years of judo, and, when I was told I had to stop that, taking up yoga. I have exercised (appropriately) throughout to keep the muscles in shape even when I couldn't walk (and I still can't walk more than a few hundred feet thanks to the ankle). 

It's worth asking around in physiotherapy b circles for physios who teach things like yoga or Pilates or Alexander techniques, and who have experienced of your medical condition, so can adapt it appropriately for you. If you can stretch to it, some private lessons are great. That way they can help you build up strength in the right areas, without risking your surgery or making things worse. 

It is never too late to improve muscles, especially since you are still quite young and you don't know what the future may bring in terms of arthritis or other conditions. I can't prove it, but I am quite convinced that my mega- successful hip surgery was a result of the strength of my muscles and their flexibility; and last year the doctors told me that my bone density is that of someone in their late 30's ( I am 59!), and that was because of all the weight bearing exercises I had done since being a child. 

If you can't afford private sessions, I also bought a book on yoga for arthritis and the like sufferers, on Amazon. It isn't always easy to get hold of, and quite expensive- mine was £18 new, and a friend I recommended it to paid £11 for a used copy. But it's considered the bible for yoga of this type, easy to follow drawings and instructions AND it adapts them to what you can manage our tells you which things you definitely shouldn't do with certain conditions.

If you are interested I can dig it out and message the title to you.

• Posted

Yes thank you any information is great.  You sound like your very fit, I used to go to a gym and I used to walk a fair bit but that has become impossible now as my hip is just not up to it.  It's so frustrating but I've put up with it, but last year, I was struggling when out shopping and when I was out at parties I couldn't dance... I thought well I might not want to jog or care to  but when it impacts on things you enjoy enough is enough lol.  

Seriously though thanks very much for your advice, and I agree it's wise to try and get fit and continue to do so, as I really want to be able to do more physically after I get my THR.  

Lizbet 

• Posted

Hi Lizbet,

I had done left leg hip replecement on October 2016 and i have to say

my flexibility improve lots i can do more than I used to. My right hip need to be done as well and hopefully soon . I have an appointment 16 of

March. I did lots of excersice after hip replecement and also hydro

therapy in hospital and still doing . I do excersice least 3 times a day .

Im happy i went trough hip replecement no much pain only some time. My right hip get worse because i compensate left hip. Im believe your flexibility will improve after hip replecement with some excersice if you

follow instructions. Good luck and big hug Madla💗

PS hydro therapy and walking help lots ×××

• Posted

Thanks so much for your reply, it's encouraging to hear how well your doing.

Going to sound stupid but is hydro therapy exercises in water ?  I've a feeling it is.... that sounds very interesting.

Great to hear your flexibility improved that is one of my big concerns as just now my flexibility is practically zero,

thanks for your kind words

lizbet x

• Posted

Good morning Liz! I too was born with right hip dysplasia. Also a left club foot. I was on a full body cast my first year of life with a rod that kept my legs apart. At age 12 I had surgery on left knee to stop growth so my right leg could catch up. Went on with life without any problems until about 25 years ago I started to have pain on and off. Started wearing a shoe lift but did not keep with it as was embarrassing to me and I wanted to wear my pretty shoes! Then about 4/5 years ago pain became more prominent and intense. Got to point that I was in pain every day all day. Was still going to gym but was now wearing the shoe lift again and using a cane. Decided on hip replacement as I was bone on bone and the head of hip was totally gone and the cup was just as bad. Unfortunately for me I dislocated my hip 3 weeks later 2 days later had to have total hip revision. I spent 6 weeks non weight bearing. I was 1 & 1/2 inches short. Now I have my length back. But recovery has been hard. Being short for so long and non movement of muscles has caused a lot of tendonitis and bursitis. The muscles are being stretched now and movement is very stiff. Dealing with nerve pain due to the stretched muscles. I'm 6 months out almost 7 and I'm doing better. I'm still stiff tho but not like before. Have had physical therapy for 5 months now. I'm getting there but it's not been easy. But there's no more bone on bone pain anymore. Im still having to use cane as my hip muscles are still very weak and cause me to limp. I hope all goes well for you. Come back and let us know how you are doing after your surgery. Hugs 🤗LD 🤓

• Posted

hi Linda, thanks for replying.  Goodness you have been through a lot.  I had a lot of surgery when I was three to fix my hip dysplasia , I believe they grafted a bit of bone from my pelvis and added it to the cup to make the joint stay in place, I think I had an osteotomy, though I'm not 100%, it was 46 years ago and other than the Drs saying to my parents it went ok they did. It go into much detail about the operation, my aunt told me she thought that's what they did but I'm not sure.

Like you were I am at the stage I have pain every day, and I can't even get comfortable sitting as my leg stiffens up in minutes so I'm forever trying to stretch it out.  Also as you say my muscles need stretched out, I've had cortisone for bursitis, as strangely I never get groin pain, which I think is common in hip arthritis but it's always at the outside of my hip, to the point that I can't lie on it for any length of time.  

Im so glad you don't have the bone on bone pain any more and it sound like your getting better day by day.  Thank you for advice, it's much appreciated.

Lizbet x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.