Will my Health Anxiety ever go away

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi im 20 years old and in the last 6 months my health anxiety has rapidly increased into a full blown issue affecting my daily life, ive never suffered with any form of anxiety in my life but out of the blue last october I suddenly uncontrolably began worrying about having virues like swine flu, ebola and all kinds of cancers, once I rule out one illness new symontoms appear and my anxiety only finds a new home, since realising im not dying and im suffering from health anxiety I have started some councelling which has hugely helped and if anyone is in the same position I would highly recommened it, but I still feel hopeless like the constent worrying is not going to go away, im so young and I usually enjoy life so much and used to be so outgoing but i find since this all started all I want to do is sit in my room and feel sorry for myself I dont want to let this continue and stop be from enjoying myself, if anyone has suffered or is suffering from similar feelings I would love to know how you deal with it or overcame it

Cheers ( sorry for such a long post)

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Do you get symptoms when you think about like having something if you think about headaches do you get them or any symptoms from the things you think you have but really don't
  • Posted

Hi Shibby, I'm 25 and in the same position as you! I haven't had Counseling though! So thanks for the ideasmile instead my Dr has suggested anti depressants called Citalopram-aparently they work well for anxiety!

Everything you have described-im exactly the same! I was so convinced I was going to catch Ebola! Every time I read/watch the news and hear the word cancer my anxiety goes nuts!

This started happening to me 2 years ago randomly! I used to love life + partying! I became house bound over Xmas due to anxiety being so bad...staying in makes anxiety worse! I give myself challenges every day + feel great when I complete them. (simple things like walking to a shop).

I also had a health check up to assure myself I'm not going crazy and secretly dying of a horrendous disease! This has assured me I'm OK! But like you, the anxiety won't go away. I'm on week 3 of starting meds. So hopefully they will work! Sorry this is so long lol. Hope you feel better soon sweetie xxxx

• Posted

I'm often the same, sometimes its not worrying about a particular illness, more that its a worry about general serious ill health. Its torturous to deal with, the slightest ache or sensation leads to horrible places. Therapy helps me, much preferred to medication. Therapy aims to get to the root of the problem and stop it being a persistent issue ,medication can't do that
  • Posted

Hi I understand where you are coming from. I have been suffering from health anxiety for some time always worried about my health I just think to myself well I an still here 12 months down the line and nothing has happened to me and that's what I keep thinking and saying to myself . I just go of and do something that will take my mind of it . It does get easier . You take control of your anxiety if I'm ill I will deal with it then . We always worry about things and guess what it never happens . Enjoy life don't let anxiety take it away from you .Be happy 😆👍
  • Posted

Hi there, 

I worry about my health quite a bit - but try and distract myself with other things when these worries come into my head. I am the same, in that I can end up feeling the psychosematic symptoms of what I am worried about getting. I have therefore got to a point where if I get a symptom of something, I will firstly tell myself that this is not real and only a psychosematic symptom. 

If I continue to have this symptom on-going, then I will speak to my dr in case it is something other than psychosematic. 

I suffer on and off with depression and regularly have times when I just want to hide away, be alone and not talk to anyone. If I am due to go out somewhere (even if it's somewhere I wanted to go, or meeting friends) I can find myself in two-minds as to whether I should go and can easily talk myself out of going. However I push myself to go out and push myself to be around people. 

If I am having a tough day and struggling, then I might tell the people I am going out with not to expect too much conversation with me; but most times I find that once I have taken the step of going out, then things don't feel as bad as I thought they would and I usually end up having a good time. 

The tough thing with anxiety is that you have to be really strong and stand up to it. If you let it beat you, then it will completely take over your life. I'm not saying that it's an easy thing to do - far from it.

But then, nothing worth achieving is ever easy. 

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.