Will my husband get better?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

My husband has had a bout of anxiety for the last few months. He had EDMR therapy which really helped combined with ssris. He was doing well until 2 weeks ago where he has suddenly gone down hill again. The Drs have increased his sertraline to 150mg and I have found another therapist for him to have CBT sessions weekly.

His worries are mainly things which he thinks can affect him and the kids.

Am I doing all I can to help him? I just need some reassurance he will be ok. Last night he was. Dry teary saying he was fed up with worrying all the time and that he can't be a proper husband or father. I know the increase dose of ssris initially cause these episodes but this medication seems to work for a few weeks and stop is this normal? Or do we just need to find his therapeutic dose? 150mg seems so high to me sad any advice/reasurrance will be greatly appreciated.

Jen

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It will take 4-6 weeks to know if his increase is going to help and yes the up and downs are normal if sertaline don't work there are plenty more out there to try. Hang in there and be strong he is going to need constant reassurance from you. Right now he feels helpless and like a burden!

• Posted

Jenni, when I was depressed some time ago, i was prescribed 200mg of sertraline, which the GP told me was the maximum dose.

I think you should wait for the 150mg to work - and I really hope they do - before getting too anxious.

Men always feel a grreat responsibility for their families. That is how we are made. Possibly your husband feels he has let you down - in whicih case, ask him! And then reassure him that he has NOT let you down, that you love him very much, and will support him while he goes through this illness.

My thoughts are with you.

• Posted

Maybe it's not a psychological problem that came out on its own. There is a reason why your husband feels like that and he hopes he can cure it with therapy and medicine. The underlying reason can be something else though. Something that he doesn't like and this causes contradicitons into his mind.

I knew a man like that, he had his family and one day he took his life. He expressed the same worry, that he cannot provide happiness to the house, to his wife and children and he felt inadequate. After investigation they found out what has been bothering him. I am not suggesting anything but there could be a possibility that you husband knows the reason of his instability.

• Posted

Hi Jenni,

I went to the hospital in Feb with a panic attack and since then have bad anxiety and some depression with it. Never had this before, always been very motivated and own my own business's. Now I struggle with the easiest of tasks that I realize I took for granted before.

I've tried SSRI's and they all made me sick for too long or had horrid side effects. I tired lorazepam and clonazapam both of which are similar to xanax and caused me worse depression. So I stopped taking them. This has all been trial and error. I have found something that has brought me some relief though, combination of things.

I work out in the evenings and relax/stretch, to have down time/alone time. I eat healthier. I pray daily now.

The only drug I can recommend is Quetiapine, which is the off brand Seroquel. Have your husband take this if you can. Don't read the side effects as the side effects of any drug label I have found to be scary to anyone with anxiety. Just don't drink alcohol with it. 25mg at night helps sleep, and 50 mg during the day helps stop the anxiety and worries enough to function and make my stomach better etc. (this drug is different than others, the less you take makes you sleepy, the more you take does the opposite) so 12.5-25mg are best for sleep I have found for me. 50mg clears my thoughts and worries for the day. I'm not 100% like before this all happened to me, but I'm much closer than without it. I'm 8 months in and doing much better, my good friend and attorney took 18months before he was back to normal without medication. It takes time. Give him daily verbal support if you can. My wife leaves me notes in the morning. Hope all of this helps, have hope??

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.