Will my surgery be delayed?

Posted , 6 users are following.

During my pre op assessment, I was diagnosed with hypertension, and am now on medication,,have to ring the hospital on Friday with my BP reading and they will decide ,,,also unfortunately have developed a chest infection,,,,,on anti biotics... concerned these two things will delay my op,,,,,which I have planned lots of other things around,,anyone else got hypertension?... it's typical I got sick ....the stress of all this,,,, I have loads to finish up in work too,,,,,

0 likes, 9 replies

Report / Delete

9 Replies

  • Posted

    I live in the UK and had my second TKR November 2017 finally after two cancelled operations bevause of chest infection then cystitis The new NHS pathway Is They wint operate anyone till 7 days after finishing antibiotic. Can't tell you about Hypertension 😘

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Linda I was newly diagnosed with hypertension during my pre op assessment. I had to go to my GP to get treatment started. They took bloods to check my U&Es were OK and then started me on Ramipril 2.5mg. They are happy with a Diastolic reading less than 90 not sure if they would delay your operation depends on how high that figure is. I would be more concerned about your chest infection. They are more likely to delay it for that reason alone x

    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    I would definitely be more worried about the chest infection. They are very strong on infections.

    When I had my last op we had to do a urine test & the lady in the bay next to mine was found to have an infection, even though she was asymptomatic, her hip replacement was cancelled! She was gutted!

    I only hope that your a/bs work in time & they agree to go ahead.

    I wish you all the best, keeping my fingers crossed for you!!

    Marilyn 

    XX

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      Thanks ,,,so do i ,,, i feel pretty rough now ,,,,viral and bacterial i reckon ...the joys of having an infection with RA.....bad timing ,,,, hopefully I'll be ok by the weekend,,,,pretty bad week to be sick in terms of work as I'll be off then at least 2 months...

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    The hypertension needs to be checked regardless of the op. It would be foolish to operate if you’re suffering from hypertension. 

    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

      I'm not sure if you saw I said I'm on treatment in my initial post Mary ,,,I had a high reading initially at assessment, then I had a 24hr BP monitor on, and I'm on treatment now for the hypertension, ,,,it just needs to be down enough for my op to proceed, ,, then unfortunately I got an infection too,,

      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

    Hi Linda.i was on blood pressure meds when I went for my assessment.so it was changed.i didn't have the op for nearly six weeks so it had a chance to work.i was told that the morphine would lower it as well so it all went ahead.u should be well into your antibiotics by then too.hope it all goes well for you.keep looking at this page.very helpful having someone that's been before you x

    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up