Will my tension-type headache resolve with cataract surgery?

Posted , 8 users are following.

3 month ago, after binge-watching "Mad Man" I started having muscle tightness all around my head but mainly at the base of the scalp. I wear the same progressive eyeglasses for the last 8 years, and with glasses, my vision is 20/30, I also have mild astigmatism. My optometrist told me that I have an early cataract. I spend 8 hours a day in front of a desktop computer, but lately, because of the disabling headaches, I have to stop working or take Ibuprofen 600 mg to get through the day.

I believe the straining of my scalp muscles is due to head tilting to see abound clouding of the cataract.

I got new computer glasses, mono-focal glasses for distance, and +5 magnifying glasses for reading, no longer using the progressive glasses. The headaches are slightly better but I still need daily ibuprofen.

I believed that my headache will resolve if I get cataract surgery, so, I saw an eye surgeon last week, during a very brief visit, she recommended astigmatism correcting lenses.

Since the surgeon's attitude towards me was deplorable, never relating to anything I said and never addressing the issue that brought me to her - my headaches, I realize that I have to do my own research on this topic. I found this forum, I have learned a lot from various posts, and I hope to find here the answers to my questions.  

Did anyone have tension-type headaches from cataract?

Did the cataract surgery help the headaches?

What would be the best option for IOL to avoid headaches due to head tilt?

Is a trifocal IOL a good option since progressive glasses aggravate the Headaches.

Can I continue to do computer work during the two-week recovery after each surgery? I can't take time off right now. 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi annetteMD , How long have you stopped working? Since you no longer have to tilt your head to look at the computer screen, has your headache improved?

There are a few discussions in the "Eye Problems" section, with complaints traced to retinal migraine, dry eye disease, brain tumor, Peripheral vascular disease (PVD) or Occipital Neuralgia. Cataract did not give me headache. Some people with a sensitive neural system have real issues with computer screens and LED components.  The 2nd and the 4th month after my last cataract surgery, on two occasions the pain was so severe that I had to lie down in bed immediately. No pain in my eyes, but the pain message was sent to my brain like a lightning bolt while I was working on iPad and computer. Thankfully, I am now 10 months post-Op, and I no longer had that weird brain-exhausting pain. However, if the pain is at your scalp muscles, it most likely is something else and it may be a good time to consult your doctor.

• Posted

Thank you, jantje32476. I have not stopped working, I have a big project I feel compelled to attend to. When I don't work on the desktop, I do not have the headaches. My headaches are not migraines. My scalp muscles are tender and I don't have migraine headache characteristics, such as one sided, throbbing, aggravated or causing avoidance of physical activity. I don't have migraine-associated symptoms such as nausea, light or noise sensitivity. I never had headaches before, people do not usually develop migraines after the age of 50.

• Posted

1. I think that you need to resolve the reason for your headaches before you have a cataract surgery instead of assuming that the cataract surgery will fix the problem. Most people with cataracts do not have any headaches due to a cataract.

2. You said that you got new glasses for distance. If those are made to your latest prescription, why are those not correcting for your astigmatism? What made your doctor say that you need glasses which correct astigmatism?

3. What is your eye glasses prescription right now? Even a significant difference in the prescription of the 2 eyes (more than 1D) can cause visual issues and headaches.?

4. If you do have significant astigmatism, why are you not using prescription glasses meant for reading instead of using +5D readers for reading?

If you can share the answers to the above questions, we may have a better idea on how to provide you the right suggestions.

• Posted

Thank you, at201.

1. I very much agree. Since any of my four pairs of glasses (progressive, computer, distance, and +5 readers) do not do the job well, I tilt my head in the effort to see better, which I thought was the source of my tension headaches. My vision cannot be further improved with glasses. All my glasses have astigmatism correction, I believe it is +2. my latest 2 pairs were made a couple of weeks ago from a new prescription.

2. The eye surgeon recommended astigmatism-correcting IOL.

3. I believe my current Rx is +5.5 for the L eye and +3.5 for the R eye.

• Posted

Since you got the new prescription glasses only 2 weeks back, you should have the exact prescription, which will have the exact spherical correction as well as the cylindrical correction (for astigmatism). If I had to bet on it, your statement that  "my current Rx is +5.5 for the L eye and +3.5 for the R eye" is probably not correct correct: It will be highly unusual for anyone to have that much farsightedness..

• Posted

I was plagued with headaches due to eyestrain, I dont get them now I have had both cataracts removed.

As i wanted to go for the best possible outcome I chose to have corrective lenses which has pretty much given me my distance vision..its absolutely perfect.  I have to wear a 2.25% for reading but its only small letters that I cant read.

With my second op I couldve gone back to work the next day the result was so amazing and I havent had any problems AT ALL. But my first was a different story, the lense blurred at week 6 for a few weeks but the main problem was the vast difference in pescriptions.  I found the imbalance dreadful and this increased my headaches and gave me a lot of double vision.  Im in england and had to wait 5 mths between surgerys which is the norm here so it was a long haul.  Although I would be ok to work after a couple of wks on the first eye it was not without its problems and I think this is mainly due to your eyes trying to work together when they cant. Im now a month post surgery on my second eye and I am unbelievable happy with the result.

• Posted

Bingo! Marie55850. So I'm not the only one with eyestrain due to cataract. My optometrist has been telling me that cataract does not usually cause headaches, but I can feel the muscles straining.

I tend to go with a conventional intraocular lens and have it for distance, like you. I fear a trifocal lens may cause headaches too. I think I should have the two surgeries as close together a possible. I may have to wait until I can make time for it. yesterday I tilted the computer monitor bottom backward, it seems that the back of my head didn't hurt as much after seven hours. I'll keep trying it, it will be nice if I can put the surgery off until I know more.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of headaches annette. I havent had them yet. Ive early cataracts. Blurring happens sometimes. I had 3 days clear and then last night it blurred for 5 seconds. Will make a lot of investigation this week. Im a 64 year old insulin dependent diabetic.
  • Posted

It may take some time to sort out the issues with your eyes.  Since the muscle tightness started three months ago with binge watching and has continued, your muscles may be very tight.  

Can you get physical therapy to address the muscle tightness?  I also like the idea of playing with the ergonomics of your computer setup. 

Relieving this pain may buy you some time – and reduce stress - while you investigate the options for your eyes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.