Will Orlistat Help?!

Posted , 2 users are following.

So I went to the doctor to find out I weight the exact same amount as I did September 2015. A year and a half of watching what I eat, and working out at the gymn and then at home....and all it really did was keep me from getting bigger?! Sigh... 

I have been to the NHS counterweight program during this time so I said to my doctor I need something else. His answer is to try these tablets for 3 months to see if I lose 5% of my body weight. If not then I guess it will have to be something more drastic (weight loss surger?!). 

So I currently lift weights 3 x per week, and do cardio 3 x per week (been doing that since last october....), and I have been limiting wheat and sugar (by this I mean less than once per week). I seem to be extremely sensitive to carbs/sugar so I just have to stay away from them if I have any hope of losing weight. 

My doctor who prescribed these didn't even give me eye contact at the appoitnment never mind explain what I was to do. Thank god for Google... So from what I read I need to make sure I have a low fat diet (mine generally has been anyway) and expect to poop myself otherwise. 

Today is day two of the tablets. Yesterday I felt a little bit burpy (that horrible medicine burp) afterwards, and maybe a bit bloated. Otherwise no effects. 

I am starting this at 5' 4'' and 108.3 kg (Pretty much bang on 17 stone), my trousers are a tight 18 or comfortable 20 uk. And since this is where I hold my weight (butt/lower tummy) then I will use that as a measurement of success vs dress size.

What was your success like in months 1-3 of orilstat? Did you lose weight, are you happy with them? Did you have to move on to something else?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I wish I could give you a big hug. Don't take it as a sign that your GP didn't make eye contact or give any advice - most people here have found the same. If you search this site for orlistat there is an info sheet produced by a Norfolk hospital with all the info you need plus a 4 day meal planner which will start you off well.

I've been on them for 6 weeks & have lost 1st 12lbs so far but to be fair my starting weight was 28st 1lb so it was likely that I would have a good loss at the beginning. Most us 'check in' with our GP's regularly & to get the next prescription. I've already lost 5% but the next target is 10% within 6 months. I am being referred for surgery but there are so many hoops to jump through & psych evaluations that I'm not getting my hopes up that I'd be selected which means I'm doing all I can to shift the weight myself now.

Use the forum as often as you like as we have a good support network going on & we support each other & check in after weighing in etc - good luck x

• Posted

Thanks Cath,

I am happy to hear you have lost nearly 2 stone in 6 weeks. That is a great result.  

I think I have to check in too. Again my doctor didn't say much other than ''Try this for three months, and if you dont lose 5% we will talk again''. I literally had to look up everything. But I assume since he only gave me 84 pills I need to check in to get next months supply.

I couldn't locate the document you were referring to. Could you link it for me? smile

Today is day 3 and still no side effects. I know last night my dinner had a bit extra fat (was taken out for early Valentines Day dinner). I am happy I am not pooing everywhere...but also thinking it isn't working at the same time. 

Guess we will find out tomorrow! smile

• Posted

Hi, I cant link it unfortunately partly cos I access this all on my phone & can't but also we aren't supposed to link & publish things or the moderators will remove your post!

I just searched for it by only putting orlistat in the search box & I think it was 4th 1 down - called orlistat (xenical) healthy eating info guide/condition leaflet - or thereabouts!

You may not have an immediate reaction because of how long our bodies take to digest food & sometimes you'll get caught out. I was advised to wear pads for the 1st week or so because sometimes the oil literally leaks out of you or if you fart it might be a wet 1!!! I have to admit (apologies for TMI) that I've had a couple of instances where I couldn't quite get to the toilet in time & thank goodness I was wearing something as the oil stains - even the toilet!

Once you get used to it though I'm sure you'll be fine xx

• Posted

Thanks I found the article you were talking about. 

A few days in now and the worst I felt was post Valentines dinner. No squishy farts or anything...but it was ....easier to go to the bathroom and a little more urgent. No accidents or anything ....kinda like if you have a really big coffee! Ha ha

But to be fair I usually don't go daily...probably every 2-3 days (not constipated...just my normal). Since taking the pills I am now going about 2 times a day. 

So I guess it is working...at least to make me go more regularly which means less time in there to nit pick every little nutrient out of it...so hopefully it will be working. Scared to get on the scale just yet. smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.