Will rest only eventually allow a Sciatic flare up to eventually recover? Or make things worse?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I just had a colostomy reversal surgery 3 weeks from today, which I've had a great recovery from, however the full recovery time is 5-6 weeks, so my surgeon and Primary Care doctor have both advised I cannot do Physical Therapy which almost always resolves my back issues within a few session until that 5-6 week mark.

So what I am being told is basically pain killers for pain management at this time is my only choice, however its been getting so bad that today I almost wet to bed because I couldn't get out of it, as every time I tried to do the hospital bed roll off / lift of I would get a SHOCKING pain from my lower spine down to the shin below my right knee cap.

The huge issue is this started out as a strong pinch in my lower spine, the pain traveled down to my right leg where its just been a VERY sensitive and painful hip / knee pain if I move on it wrong at all, and now I am experimenting with sleeping in a recliner with ortho pillows for lumbar support to avoid needing to do a dramatic situp that triggers that nerve pain which makes me unable to walk, but this is now starting to bring the pain back into my lower spine again and still very present in my right leg as well.

I am getting worried because I feel like all this inaction can lead to it getting worse to possibly a point beyond repair once my surgery is healed, I am still walking very short distances (that seem to be getting shorter as to what I can tolerate), and wondering if I should just do minimal walking around the house and cozy up to 24/7 pain killers for the next few weeks?

I'm going to go take a walk outside now just to see how things are getting along after sleeping on my recliner for a few hours, just not being able to sleep AT ALL from the pain is making me feel sick constantly, and I am starting to really worry which twist is going to be the one that paralyzes me 😦

Any input appreciated, I am feeling down very big time right now, I should be celebrating a good recovery from the colostomy reversal surgery but this sciatic issue is just crazy pain 24/7.

Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like sciatic nerve pain which can start on one side of your lower back, pass through your hip and glute and then down your leg...

Sciatica

A great non-invasive method is to go to a chiropractor to see if your hips are out of alignment. No drugs, except OTC ibuprofen for 10 days max, plus treatments a few times a week for less than a month. If you can't take the NSAIDs, then try some topical Voltaren Gel (generic diclofenac...RX in the US). There are also capsaisin and menthol OTC pain patches...even cheap TENS units ($25) but you have to experiment with where to put the pads.

As in the linked discussion, the only time this didn't work for me was when my sciatica was caused by a bone spur at L4 crushing the sciatic nerve root. That fix is surgical. Else, find the cause of the sciatica and fix it. Meanwhile, make yourself as comfortable as possible.

• Posted

Thanks for the reply CHICO, I've seen your posts before and they are very informative, however this is kind of a different beast as my surgeon for my colostomy reversal said no anything for 5-6 weeks to avoid a Hernia.

PT actually knocked the pain out almost immediately last time with a realignment, but I am experiencing terrible pain, and being told I cannot seek the help I need for 2-3 more weeks.

I've had to sleep in my recliner to avoid getting stuck in bed / insane nerve pain, the only thing that helps for pain is literally pain killers at this point as I cannot seek professional help per my surgeon, and my ability to walk / quality of life is going downhill quickly 😕

Pain meds are the only thing that have allowed me to function under this "do absolutely nothing" surgical recovery restriction, not sure if you've maybe been through this as you've had quite a career in sciatica it seems?

Thanks!

• Posted

Go back to your dr. This could be anything. Just because sciatic is common doesn't mean it's right.

Take Care

Melissa

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.